Thread: New DSLR camera and kit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New DSLR camera and kit

OK, so I've finally decided to take the plunge with DSLR, after leaving behind my flim based SLR a few decades ago and putting up with many and varied point and shoot digitals in the mean time - when I reviewed a friends family pics, I was blown away by the clarity and the intensity of the colours and realised what I've been putting up with over the years just was cutting it. I've spent the past few months googling and seem to have come up with a short list (with great help from the reviews on this site - good job). I'd really apreciate some feedback....

Canon 5D Mkii with Spare battery & 2 x 8Gb Extreme III cards

Canon 24-70 2.8 L USM OR Canon 24-105 4 L IS USM

Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS USM

Canon 50mm 1.4 USM

Canon Speedlite 430 EX II

Canon 16-35 2.8 L II USM (possible )

I will mainly shoot Landscape and People but there is always the need to be more versatile.

The 5D Mkii seems to be a cracking camera and I really like the idea of full frame. The 70-200 doesn't have a bad word said about it (apart from the price!) and the 50mm seems to be a good around the house type lens without the need to setup the flash etc

I'm undecided on the 24-70 vs the 24-105 - the argument seems to come down on the side of the 24-70 with the 5D's full frame and I expect ones of these will spend the most time on the camera while out and about with 70-200 coming a close second.

I'm not sure if I can justify the additional expense of the 16-35 lens for that additional wider angle over the 24-70 or the 24-105 - but ......

So, have I finally lost my marbles or am I spending the kids inheritence wisely?

It may not seem like it, but I do have a budget and I want to make sure that with a significant investment like this I am getting the best options and making the best choices.

Re: New DSLR camera and kit

It seems to me you jumping in on the deep end but if I had the money It's what I'd do except I'd opt for the 580EX over the 430EX (and I've got three 430EXs). I'd also look into larger memory cards. I use an 8GB in my XSi and it fills up awful quick if I shoot RAW. The files the 5D MkII produces areconsiderably larger.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

I think your proposed gear looks very capable. Being mainly a portrait photographer, might I suggest you ditch the 16-35 f/2.8 L II for a lighting kit? Go to www.strobist.com and check out the Lighting 101 section. Then check out the flickr strobist group. It's utterly amazing what people are doing with off-camera shoe-mount flashes (or studio strobes) these days.

A lighting kit might include (but not limited to)

Flashes (could be cheaper non-Canon ones, too)

Lightstands

Umbrellas

A softbox or two

Flash grids, flags, snoots

Umbrella swivels

Radio Triggers (like Cybersyncs or the cheaper CTR-301p)

Gels (filters that changed the color of the light output from the flash)

You could get a very capable lighting setup with the money you would have spent on the 16-35.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    Being mainly a portrait photographer, might I suggest you ditch the 16-35 f/2.8 L II for a lighting kit?

Listen to Sean he knows what he's talking about.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Thanks

yes it does feel like the deep end especially when I
    look at the final cost. Good point with the mem cards and maybe a
    couple of the 16Gb would be better. I went with the 430 as I was hoping
    not to use it too often, but a couple of posts have now said 580 over
    the 430 so maybe I should relook at it (I don't think the cost
    difference was great).

I was hoping that with mainly f2.8 lens
    and mainly outdoors that I could get away without a flash for the
    majority and again indoors with a f1.4 prim I can still click away in
    lower lighting

What pictures would I take:- Landscape
    & Outdoors, I spend a month or so a year in Switzerland walking in
    the Alps - the scenery is stunning, I travel around Europe and like to
    capture what I see - so much history - So not having to carry bags and
    bags of equipment is important.

I don't intend taking serious portraits/weddings etc but I do
    like to capture real world living - mainly travelling or at home with
    friends and family. So again having a limited number of lenses that
    have a wide usage was my aim.

I'm not a sports fan but I do want to capture the kids in action and when we go sailing - there's always plenty to see.

I
    don't intend making a living from this and I don't want to setup a
    studio but I would like to capture the best pictures I can - taking
    into consideration my abilities

Quote Originally Posted by ueella

Thanks

yes it does feel like the deep end especially when I look at the final cost. Good point with the mem cards and maybe a couple of the 16Gb would be better. I went with the 430 as I was hoping not to use it too often, but a couple of posts have now said 580 over the 430 so maybe I should relook at it (I don't think the cost difference was great).

I was hoping that with mainly f2.8 lens and mainly outdoors that I could get away without a flash for the majority and again indoors with a f1.4 prim I can still click away in lower lighting

What pictures would I take:- Landscape & Outdoors, I spend a month or so a year in Switzerland walking in the Alps - the scenery is stunning, I travel around Europe and like to capture what I see - so much history - So not having to carry bags and bags of equipment is important.

I don't intend taking serious portraits/weddings etc but I do like to capture real world living - mainly traveling or at home with friends and family. So again having a limited number of lenses that have a wide usage was my aim.

I'm not a sports fan but I do want to capture the kids in action and when we go sailing - there's always plenty to see.

I don't intend making a living from this and I don't want to setup a studio but I would like to capture the best pictures I can - taking into consideration my abilities

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

In this case I have less doubts

5D MKII 24-105 L f 4 IS/ 70-200L f 2.8 IS / 580 EZ

I do not use a spare battery, If you come back every 2 days in a place with electricity you will not need it.

16 GB is better than 8 with the size of Raw file you will generate, if you do not carry your computer with you for a long time consider a storage disk also for back-up.

If you want some spectacular image of mountains, lakes rivers consider the Super Wide. 14 f2.8 is lighter and better than 16-35, but with some disadvantage like no polarizer and price.

This is not a light backpack, but I can walk with this set for hours without problem, Include a good backpack in your set like lowepro, naturtrekker or Vertex 200 (my choice as lighter). They are greatto store all you need +they have a rain cover to protect your equipment in bad weather during your trekking.

Great feedback thanks.

Sean, great images, a serious talent.

Gian, what your main reasons for your choice of the 24-105 over the 24-70?

thanks for the pointer on the 14mm f2.8, looks like a much better alternative to the 16-35 - although I don't think the bank manager will agree!

I've must admit I've not thought too much about a backpack, the Vertex 200 does look like a good choice - thanks. Could you also recommend a smaller option just for the camera with either the 70-200 or the 24-105/24-70 fitted?

Quote Originally Posted by ueella
    I spend a month or so a year in Switzerland walking in
    the Alps - the scenery is stunning, I travel around Europe and like to
    capture what I see - so much history - So not having to carry bags and
    bags of equipment is important.

The f/2.8 zooms are fantastic in many ways, but they are much, much heavier than their f/4 brothers. A backpack with 17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, and 70-200 f/4 is much lighter than 16-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, and several tubes of Bengay. If you can keep yourself focused on the superior images brought home by the f/2.8, you'll put up with the pain to get it.

I would also suggest that you consider at least one prime lens, even a cheap one. Pick a focal length that you will use often, and get a prime there for under $600. The 100mm f/2 is a good deal and makes a nice focal length for people photography (except headshots), and you will really see the difference from an f/2.8.

Kind regards,

5DMKII, awesome bit of kit! You may want to put a Battery Grip with it, I always put one on any DSLR I use.

When I was choosing the 24-70 or 24-105, I went for the 105, mainly because of the focal length, better one to keep on the camera more often, as 70vs105 is a big difference to me! Ok the 105 is still only f/4, but it has IS and still works wonders when I shoot weddings indoors when I can't use a flash during the ceremony. Plenty of people do choose the 24-70 though with it having f/2.8, I have used both, and despite the 24-70 being faster etc, I prefer the focal length on the 105. Pros and Cons tbh.

I wouldn't gofor a Speedlite 430, if you have the money to buy all that kit, do yourselfa favour and get a better flash, 580EX II.

Also, why X2 8GB memory cards? One 16GB card instead?

Overall, its a hell of a lot of money on some quality kit, but, what will you be taking pictures of exactly?

I have a similar set to the one you select:

5D + 5D MKII

14L f2.8 II / 24-105L f4 IS / 70-200L f2.8 IS / 100-400L f4.5,5.6 IS + 580 EX

My suggestion are:

5D MKII is a fantastic camera

I preferred 24-105 over 24-70 for the focal length, for its weight (I carry all my staff most of the time and weight is important) IS is very nice in low light and in case I need it I have a faster lens with the 70-200 for sport. This is a very nice lens I use a lot.

50 1.4 Personally I do not see a large use of this lens, I think you will seldom remove the 24-105 for the 50. Consider that with the 5D MKII you can shoot good images at ISO 1600, with very good results, so low light become less of a problem.

Flash: As budget is not your first concern 580 performs much better than 430 specially when you do not use it direct, but bounced somewhere.

Super wide: I tried the 16-35L f2.8 II, is a great lens, but in the end I realized that with the 24-105 it was seldom on one of my body, and I was using it primarily for landscapes and architecture. for this I tried also the prime 14L f2.8 II. I came back and I kept the prime.

This is just my experience, Sean made a very good suggestion for artificial light, he makes great pictures managing lights, as you can see in this forum, but this just do not work for me, I like to shootin a natural atmosphere, and I prefer shooting around rather then in the studio. For this reason studio equipment is not an alternative for me, but in case you want to shoot portrait in a studio, I agree with Sean, I would invest in a lightening kit vs the super wide.