Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: also looking for a walk around lens

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

also looking for a walk around lens

Hi i'm looking for a walk around lens. I don't want to have to keep changing or cropping into zoom pictures. I take a ton of kids and portraits and weddings plus travel!! which would you consider?

24-70 f2.8

or 70-200 f2.8

i have the cannon xsi with no plan for upgrade yet

thanks.

Re: also looking for a walk around lens

What lens are you using now? The kit lens? How much cropping are you doing?

i use the kit lens. however i do probably 30% cropping of all pics. i also need a lens to blur the background. looking for great beach and zoo pics as well as sports.

Quote Originally Posted by ksweets8
    i also need a lens to blur the background. looking for great beach and zoo pics as well as sports.

That makes it even more certain: go for the 70-200. You'll love it.

based from what you've said, i'd suggest the 70-200 as well.

Since you're looking for a walking lens, let me throw the 70-200mm f/4 into the mix. The f/2.8 version is big and much heavier than the kit lens and you'll still be able to get excellent background blur with f/4 at these focal lengths.

On your camera the 24-70 is a "normal to telephoto" zoom and the 70-200 is a "telephoto to extreme telephoto" zoom. Personally, I would find both of them to be far too long to use as a walkaround, but it sounds like you prefer to do telephoto rather than wide angle. In that case, I would suggest the 70-200.

Since you dont have any plans upgrading your xsi, why not consider the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS? With the 24-70 f2.8 you will lose 7mm on the wide end and thats a lot.

I, for one. would highly recommend the Canon 24-105mm f4L lens for a walk around. Expensive, but I feel worth every hard earned cent.

I wouldn't go out with out it.....You have wide (24mm), and a decent zoom (105), and it's sharp and fast.

I have the 70-200mm also, and I find in many cases it is limiting, (and heavy)-- & you often have to keep moving back to get your shot. I do love it, but seldom use it for general walk around, where I never know what I want to shoot or what I'll run into. If I'm headed to the beach or the woods, or a sporting event, I mount the 70-200mm.

The 24-105mm is lighter than the 24-70mm, and the IS makes up for alot, I like having the extra reach of 105mm vs. 70mm!

For a walk around combination; on our last shoot in England I used my XTi with a grip/hand strap and the EFS 17-55 2.8 IS USM almost entirely because the lens is made for a crop camera and the weight is very hand holdable for long periods.

2.8 helps when the light is wanting and you don't or can't use a flash. The lens is also very small and the built quality/optics are second to none, dare I say it should be sporting a red ring.

I did use other glass including the 70-200 2.8 IS USM and on that body it is a little front heavy. I much prefer to mount that lens on my 1DMK11, better weight distrubution.

Hope this helps some what.. Be safe and happy shooting Chris...