Thread: Mark IV in 2Q 2010

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mark IV in 2Q 2010

<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]I read in a local trade magazine that the 1D Mark IV will be out the beginning of the second quarter 2010. Some of the new features include the same full frame sensor as is currently available on the Mark IIIs at 21.1megapixels but the sports version also uses the same full frame sensor but with greater pixel width and seperation to bring back the awesome color and vibrancy of the original 1D 4.1 megapixel senor. It will also do HD video and have a separate input for an external mic to mount on the hotshoe. The biggest change apparently is a digic processor that dedicated two processors to focus speed and accuracy and one to color and drive. The article didn&rsquo;t specify an exact price but placed it in the same range as the 1D Mark III for both the Mark IV and IVs to entice photographers back from Nikon. Lastly, it&rsquo;s rumored Canon will be coming out with a 200-400 f4 zoom to match Nikons and released at the same time the new Mark IV is again apparently to woo back lost souls.

Re: Mark IV in 2Q 2010

Ron, do you recall which trade magazine you read this in?

I'm intrigued that the Mark IV will move away from the 1.3x CF sensor and go FF. Perhaps I should say that I am delighted. Dedicating two processing units to focus speed and ACCURACY may be Canon's effort to ensure that the Mark IV isn't plagued with bad press right out of the gate. Many of us Mark III owners will be taking a wait and see approach before taking the plunge on this body.

The news regarding a pending 200-400 f/4 really got my attention. Did the article mention if this lens would incorporate Diffractive Optics or a more traditional design?

Dave

Can we please move the rumors discussion(s) over to http://www.canonrumorsforums.com?

When Canon replaces the 1D Mark III with a new model (whether that's the 1D Mark IV, or some other model), Canon will announce it, and will tell us all of the specs.

For what it's worth, the story you quote is clearly fabricated. 21.1mp at "full frame" dictates the pixel spacing - there's no way to do a different pixel spacing. HD video isn't "hard" (it's 2mp, and a single Digic can do it).
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I agree completely with you and yes I totally fabricated my last post. I too would appreciate only factual information regarding Canon equipment be posted, I'm quite tired of rumors. Boy you are quick on the uptake. I promise no more rumors from me.