Thread: Monopod and Quick Release Plates question...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Monopod and Quick Release Plates question...

I'm looking at picking up the Benro MA-98EX Aluminum Monopod.

Long story short, the balance of supportable weight, weight of the monopod itself, cost and size this looks like one of the best options for me at the moment.

My quesiton is... is there a decent relatively cheap quick release plate anyone has some first-hand experience/knowledge of that I could use with a 50D?

Re: Monopod and Quick Release Plates question...

No first hand experience here - sorry, but I wouldn't buy anything from Benro.

Have you considered Feisol?

Corey....I can't speak about the quality (I'm assuming that's what Oren was referring to in his comment) of Benro, but his suggestion of Feisol equipment is sound...quality product and great customer service.

I own one of their c/f tripods and the only complaint I have are the twist mechanisms for height adjustment.....it's a slow process. But when I use my tripod I'm not looking for a quick setup.

Which brings me to my suggestion for a monopod; Manfrotto 681B...inexpensive 55 bucks, stable and plenty tall enough, quick set up...has the snap type releases (fast setup) and a foam pad starting about 10 inches from the top for carrying (nice in cold weather). I currently use (between the mono and tripod) the Manfrotto 488 RC4 ball/head for a total of $155.

I would suggest a different ball/head...possibly the 488RC2, but I'm seriously considering the Feisol CB-40D for smoother movement in the ball area for use on the tripod.

Equipment; 40D and 100-400 IS lens.

Any opinions on Giotto? I was looking at teh MH5580 P-Pod Monopod with Tilt Head (Quick Release). Slightly longer than what I was hoping for (when closed) but still reasonably priced ($100) and supports up to 33lbs.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy the Gitzo I want that's like $350. heh

I use the Manfrotto 234RC Swivel/Tilt Head for Monopods, with Quick Release

I use this with a Canon 50D and a 100-400 L on it and it is very stable, usable and most importantly---secure. Best of all it's only $34 and comes with a plate.

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams

I use the Manfrotto [url="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554098-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_234RC_234RC_Swivel_Tilt _Head_for.html]234RC Swivel/Tilt Head for Monopods, with Quick Release[/url]

I use this with a Canon 50D and a 100-400 L on it and it is very stable, usable and most importantly---secure. Best of all it's only $34 and comes with a plate.

Bob
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I agree with Bob. I own 2 monopods and I have the 234RC on both of them. They work very well.

<p class="MsoNormal"]Ok,<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<o></o>Let me follow up on this a bit and possibly explain my
    thinking some more in an effort to get more usable first-hand experience
    comments&hellip;<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]My primary two factors are: Small when folded, able to
    support lots of weight/fairly rigid. The weight rigidity thing is because I&rsquo;m
    thinking if I am wandering around a forest and lose my balance the more weight
    it can support the better&hellip; however, for those with that first-hand experience&hellip;
    is that a reasonable expectation? Should I just get a dang walking stick and
    leave the monopod to support the camera?<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]I&rsquo;m not asking about the ball head, the choice there seems
    obvious and a few of you have echoed it already.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]My thinking is this&hellip; <o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]If I can reasonably expect the monopod to double as a
    &ldquo;walking stick&rdquo; I&rsquo;d be buying the Gitzo GM5541 @ $340<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"][url="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/569172-REG/Gitzo_GM5541_GM5541_6X_Carbon_Fiber.html]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/569172-REG/Gitzo_GM5541_GM5541_6X_Carbon_Fiber.html[/url]<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]If I should only be using my monopod for camera support, it
    SEEMS I shouldn&rsquo;t spend a fortune and get something like the Giottos MM 9160 @
    $69<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"][url="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/221100-REG/Giottos_MM9160_MM_9160_5_Section_Monopod.html#spec ifications]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/221100-REG/Giottos_MM9160_MM_9160_5_Section_Monopod.html#spec ifications[/url]<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]Or does the extra cost of something like the Gitzo GM5561T
    Traveler @ $350 really justify itself?<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"][url="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582860-REG/Gitzo_GM5561T_GM5561T_Traveler_6x_Carbon.html]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582860-REG/Gitzo_GM5561T_GM5561T_Traveler_6x_Carbon.html[/url]<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<o></o>I&rsquo;m not stuck on cost, I regularly spend the extra money to
    get the &ldquo;good&rdquo; stuff&hellip; but I&rsquo;m not going to pay five times more if it&rsquo;s really
    not needed.

Cory....decide whichever is your biggest concern....support for you while hiking or support for your camera and you have your answer.

There
    are adjustable walking sticks (LL Bean, REI, Cabella's) that double as monopods, but imho, I wouldn't entrust my safety to a monopod being used as a walking stick.

Plus in my experience as a hiker....I haven't needed a monopod until the sunrise or sunset hours. There was always plenty of light during the hike, even in the Tongas National Forest of SE Alaska.....some of the lowest light conditions I've experienced during mid-day.

For what it's worth, 2 different salesmen at B&amp;H, on 2 seperate ocassions told me to avoid the Benro and the Giotto products for now (over the summer), specifically the Benro sticks and the Giotto heads. The reason? Variations in quality coming downstream from both these companies.

My advice is spend the extra $$ and get a high-quality carbon fiber pod - you'll appreciate the lighter, stronger material when you're carrying all day.

full disclosure - I'm a first-year photog, so my experience is limited to a cheap alum rig (sticks/pan head) for the first few months, then a carbon rig (sticks/ballhead from Manfrotto 190CX4 / 488RC2). The difference is, as you'd expect, huge.