Thread: New lens or strobist gear?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New lens or strobist gear?

So I am trying to decide between a new lens or starting a strobist set up. The lens would be the EF-S 10-22. And the strobist set up would be the basic set up that Sean has been suggesting lately: two lightstands, two umbrellas, two swivels, one additional flash, and a transmitter/receiver method.

I currently have an XS with a nifty fifty, 100 f/2.0, kit lens, 75-300 f/4-5.6, and a 430 EXII. I shoot a lot of event photography, landscape, wildlife, and been getting into portraiture lately. I do plan on staying with a crop body when I upgrade.

Anything else that I should mention?

Thanks everybody!

Re: New lens or strobist gear?

A 50 prime is your shortest lens? Wow. 10-22 is going to be some drastic culture shock. Are you sure a 17-55 or 24-x isn't a more usable choice for you?

Reading the subject line first, I figured it was time to say "it's all about the light" - if your photography would improve with some artificial bursts of light, then go with flash gear; otherwise a lens would make more sense. However, I'd be thinking you want a wider lens almost no matter what.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3
    A 50 prime is your shortest lens? Wow

I have the kit lens, 18-55, but the IQ is not the best as you all know. I just feel that at times that 18 is still not wide enough. I also feel that the 10-22 will open my horizons with extra-wde angle shots.

The 10-22 is a brilliant lens, still saving up for it, but we've rented it a couple of times. You have to be a little careful, as with any ultrawide, but the results can be absolutely stunning. (Sample landscape shot at the link below).

http://virb.com/levitationdesign/photos/4773870

Quote Originally Posted by powers_brent
    So I am trying to decide between a new lens or starting a strobist set up. The lens would be the EF-S 10-22. And the strobist set up would be the basic set up that Sean has been suggesting lately: two lightstands, two umbrellas, two swivels, one additional flash, and a transmitter/receiver method.

I recently acquired the Canon 10-22 and I absolutely love it. It is certainly a fun lens. However, I think the deciding factor in my recommendation will be this--what do you want to shoot? Typically speaking the 10-22 isn't a portraiture lens (even though that's what I use it for). If you want to shoot portraits, the strobist setup will improve the quality of your photos dramatically (once you get comfortable using it). The 10-22 will have limited uses in event, wildlife, and traditional portraiture.

Quote Originally Posted by powers_brent

I shoot a lot of event photography, landscape, wildlife, and been getting into portraiture lately.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

If portraits are what you will be doing most then the 50 and 100 are great, go with the lighting. For landscapes the kit lens will probably do fine because you will have it stopped down enough to be fairly sharp. Event photography would be difficult with a 50 on a crop body and the kit lens would not open up enough for indoor events even with the 430EXII. The 10-22 may be too wide for event photography for most shots but would be great for some. Tough call.

Mark
    Mark