Thread: 450D (Rebel XSi) or 20D??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

450D (Rebel XSi) or 20D??

I've owned the 450D (aka Rebel XSi in the US) for nearly one year now (3,000 actuations) and have been quite happy with it. I just bought a used 20D (18,000 shutter actuations) and am having fun playing with it. Trouble is, I can only afford to keep one of them. Though the 20D is older, it seems a higher level camera than the 450D (ie. magnesium body, faster frame rate I think, higher ISO settings). I'm tempted to keep it instead and sell my 450D, but I hesitate due to the 1.8" screen,lack of spot metering,and the 8MP vs 12 of the 450D.

Thoughts?

Re: 450D (Rebel XSi) or 20D??

XSi

I am facing a similar situation. I have a 30D to start with, then I bought the 5D Mark II, and then bought the Xt1 (500D) for my wife to use. Now I am thinking to sell the 30D since this is old technology, has a smaller LCD with no sensor cleaning feature… the bottom line is image quality. I think you will enjoy the result better from the XSi then the 20D.

If you had said 40D instead of 20D, I'd say keep the xxD, but in you're case, I think I'd stick with the 450D (XSi).

HiFiGuy's right. The 20D technology is just too old. Of course if it was me, I'd sell both bodies and get a T1i or a 40D. You can probably pick up a used one for less than you can sell the other two for.

I think one of the biggest improvements from the 20D to the 30D was the introduction of the <span class="overview_text"]DIGIC II Image Processor. I have seen several reviews that say the 30D gives much better exposure results with a canon speedlight than the 20D even though they both are ETTL II. Your XSi has the <span class="overview_text"]DIGIC III Image Processor. The 20D is a higher level than a rebel but image quality may not be quite as good as your XSi. If you like the feel of the 20D you will probably really like the 30D or 40D. Both can be picked up very reasonabley priced used. Of course if you can go the extra cost for a 50D or even better yet a 7D, well, just a thought.

Mark
    Mark

Keep the 450! The 20 is old and out dated technology in it in comparision to what you get in the 450.

The 20D may "feel" nicer, but you have a better camera with a 450 ultimately.