Thread: How long it takes from 5D Mark II to switch into live view mode?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How long it takes from 5D Mark II to switch into live view mode?

I had to go out from the house for few minutes and left my camera to the couch. I came home and my camera was on the floor :/ 1 year olds are worst enemies of expensive stuff. Anyways, I don't see any damage in the case and it seems to take pictures normally.. but I don't remember how long it took to switch into live view mode before. Now it takes 1,5-1,7 seconds and that seems a little slow to me. Is that normal speed?

Re: How long it takes from 5D Mark II to switch into live view mode?

I don't have a 5D mk2 but my 50D switches into live view within about 1.5 - 1.7 seconds. I don't know if what you mentioned was a rough estimation or not but I've just taken my 50D and a stopper and actually timed the whole process and got 1.5 - 1.7 seconds after few tests. Take into account that 1.5 seconds is pretty fast for a human and there is probably some error in this, so the actual time is probably 1.5 seconds or less (but not much less). To make a long story short - if you take your 5D mk2 and a stopper and actually measure the times, anything around 1.5 - 2 seconds seems to be 100% fine for me.

Thanks for the reply. I timed it with a stopwatch three times and got 1.7 seconds every time. Well, I think I was lucky and my camera didn't take any damage

Lucky you. Who leaves the house and leave the camera on the couch?

I leave mine on couches, chairs, etc, but I don't have kids or pets.

When are you guys starting/stopping time? When I hit the button on my 5D2, mine goes into LiveView in about 1 sec. I can definitely take a picture in under 2 seconds. Am I timing it wrong?

Hit the start button same time you hit the liveview button and stop it when the picture appears to the lcd.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rambo

Hit the start button same time you hit the liveview button and stop it when the picture appears to the lcd.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Exactly, that's what I did. Of course you can't do this with perfect timing, but try to do the best that you can.