Thread: Does Canon Image Sabilizer makes Noise?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Does Canon Image Sabilizer makes Noise?

I have a canon 70-300mm IS USM, I noticed that when the IS is on and when the shutter button is half pressed, the lense makes noise, that is the image stabilizer kicking in and the noise persists until about 2 to 3 seconds after the shutter button is released. Though the noise is not very apparent, you need to hear it with the lens close to your ears. It is a faint hissing/grinding/cluttering noise.

This problem (should I call it a problem?) seems to be a common one with most of the canon's telephoto lense. But the surprising fact is that none of the renowned reviews speak about it.

I was bit worried when I got the lens, then I went to the Jessops and checked with couple of other IS lens and and an identical one, they too make the noise, in fact the person in Jessops was taken by surprise by the noise.

If anyone has encountered with IS noise can you please share your experience?

Re: Does Canon Image Sabilizer makes Noise?

All Canon EF lenses with Image Stabilizer technology make noise when IS is activated. It is necessary and normal. Some implementations are louder than others, and I believe this has to do with (1) the generation of IS technology used in a given model, and (2) the specific type of lens, as each IS implementation is specific to the design of the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints

All Canon EF lenses with Image Stabilizer technology make noise when IS is activated. It is necessary and normal. Some implementations are louder than others, and I believe this has to do with (1) the generation of IS technology used in a given model, and (2) the specific type of lens, as each IS implementation is specific to the design of the lens.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Thanks....

I think wickerprints is spot-on. I've used older lenses with IS and they are noticeably louder than new ones. You can REALLY hear them, regardless of design, when you record video on the 5D2, T1i, and presumably with the 7D. That's why people are seemingly obsessed with microphones lately on other forums.

Quote Originally Posted by G Thomas

I think wickerprints is spot-on. I've used older lenses with IS and they are noticeably louder than new ones. You can REALLY hear them, regardless of design, when you record video on the 5D2, T1i, and presumably with the 7D. That's why people are seemingly obsessed with microphones lately on other forums.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Thanks a lot...

My 24-105mm f/4 L IS is much quieter than my 70-200mm f/4 L IS. I reckon that's because of three different things:
    1. The 24-105 is a much heavier and shorter lens, meaning the IS doesn't have to work as hard (that is, it doesn't have to spin as fast).
    2. The 70-200 has 4-stop IS, whereas the 24-105 is a 3-stop IS... again, so the 70-200 has to spin faster.
    3. The 24-105 is heavier, and so the noise is dampened by the weight.

There are times when I don't even hear the 24-105 IS. But I like being able to hear it, because if I forget to turn it off (when I'm working on a tripod), hearing it reminds me... and it's nice to know exactly when it's active and when it cuts out after pressing the button halfway.

doesn't make any noise on the 18-55IS! but that's also because i believe its the same IS used in the Powershot line. But yes that's normal for it makes some noise

Yes, the 18-55mm does not make any noise; but the any telephot lense makes.