Thread: Critique please two panoramas and a B+W

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Critique please two panoramas and a B+W

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.10.Flashlight-long+exposure/IMG_5F00_0324-baw-copy-baw2-resize-.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.10.Flashlight-long+exposure/Untitled_5F00_Panorama13601-copy-copy-resize-.jpg[/img]

hey these are random photos that i took that i would like few pointers on. [img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.10.Flashlight-long+exposure/Untitled_5F00_Panorama1-ersize.jpg[/img]

Re: Critique please two panoramas and a B+W

for the b/w wave image, I think the black foreground and black background is a nice contrast, but I felt it could be more .. focused on the subject matter, are you trying to show the black/white contrast that the wave created, if so I think you can loose the sharp frozen wave in the middle and opt for softer motion(slightly longer exposure). If you are trying to show theinterestingform that the wave creates, I think it'll be nice to tightly crop into the wave in a way that it almost abstracts the wave that is almost recognizable so the viewer focuses on the form rather than "where we go wave". Hope that helps, that's my take on the photo, I'm not a professional photographer, I'm however a professional visual communicator.

as for the pano, they are very nice,especiallythe bottom one, congrats. The first pano.. I kept on wondering why you left it that way especially showing the photoshop cloning. I dunno.. if you just kept them the way they are stitched together I think in a way it makes interesting shapes, but not with the cloning half done.

Thanks for posting your attempts. I find the b/w by far the most interesting, but I would crop it vertically because the white foreground takes up too much uninteresting space, IMO. I think I would adjust clarity (LR) / midtones (PS) settings to add more pzazz.

I remember the thrill of making a go of my first 'serious' panorama, and watching PS photomerge a file I was astounded to discover would be over 2 metres in length. It's so much fun. Obvioulsy, the subject in No. 2 doesn't really never a pano approach, but it does require sharpening and distorsion correction along with contrast / midtones adjustments. FWIW, I suggest using a solid tripod with the horizon checked using a spirit level, setting the camera *vertically* and panning about 5 shots in manual mode ensuring a 25% overlap.

I find the composition and colours in No. 3 could be improved and spruced up. I'm not sure what you want to show in No. 3.

I hope you don't mind my unmitigated critique. It's wonderful that you have posted them. The first two certainly have potential IMO to really catch the viewer's eye. Please feel free to offer any remarks on my uploaded images.

All the best,

Stéfan

ah i see that's what i'm missing shooting them vertically.. thanx stefan. no wonder my images are coming up so narrow.

after i posted them i realized they were too big as you can see they only show half of them

Do people use PS to create panoramics or Photostitch?I personally love photostitch, I feel it does an amazing job.

As for these pictures, I do like the B&W. The top and left boarders of the second are far too distracting.