Thread: CyberSync, RadioPopper, PocketWizard...which one? So confusing!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

CyberSync, RadioPopper, PocketWizard...which one? So confusing!

So I'm looking to finally get my flash off camera. I think I'm ready. I'd like to start out basic and portability is really key. I briefly considered some monolights (Calumet Genesis), but I realized that I wouldn't be able to lug them around. And I don't have my own studio space. I like to shoot outdoors but want better control of lighting.

This is what I'm thinking to use so far. I already have some cheap stands, so I pretty much patterned things off of Bryan's setup--get the Manfrotto swivel umbrella adapter + Stroboframe hot shoe adapter + Photogenics 60" umbrella (or something a bit smaller, depending). Add some sandbags for stability, and a reflector. Presently I have only one 430EX II but may get a second depending on budget.

The question I'm faced with is this: Which wireless flash trigger is best for my purposes? Let's suppose I want to do remote triggering and/or self-portraits, with or without a flash. What will I need? I don't necessarily need/want ETTL. I'm mainly looking for reliability, portability, and reasonably low cost. I've heard things like RF interference with PWs on the 5D2.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! []

Re: CyberSync, RadioPopper, PocketWizard...which one? So confusing!

Hmmm...well, I'd recommend either Cybersyncs or the new Radiopopper JrX units.

I recommend Cybersyncs because they're what I use, and they work very well. They're reliable, have good battery life, and more than enough range for most people.

I recommend the RadioPopper JrX units because--when coupled with the yet-to-be-released RadioPopper Cube--you'll be able to manually adjust the output of your ETTL-enabled flash from the trigger on top of your camera.

That said, I'm not sure I'd recommend a 60" umbrella to start out with. That would be much more difficult to travel with as it won't compact down to a small size. Plus, you'd need a somewhat sturdy stand and even more sandbags to keep that windsail from getting away from you. Try the 43" Westcott White Collapsible umbrellas--they're fantastic.

Regardless of what you choose, dive in head first and start experimenting. Using off-camera flash is a great way to boost your creativity and see monumental gains in the quality of your portraits.

(I've been having to keep this series under wraps because the bride doesn't want her husband to see her in her dress before the wedding. I'm pretty sure he won't accidentally stumble upon this before Saturday. After this weekend I'll be posting a few of the pics to my flickr photostream.)

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.08/_5F00_MG_5F00_8244_5F00_small.jpg[/img]

strobist: 1 Vivitar 285HV, camera left, 1/2 power, shot through a white umbrella. 1 Vivitar 285HV, camera right (to the side of subject), 1/16 power, bare. 1 Vivitar 285, behind subject in tree, 1/4 power, 1/4 CTO and Yellow gelled, acting as sun. Flashes triggered via Cybersyncs.

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints
    Any advice is greatly appreciated!

CyberSyncs from Paul C. Buff... It's what Sean S. uses and what I would buy if I weren't so heavily invested in FF andL glass. I use Cactus V2S slightly modified. I've had zero issues. But, I would go with cybersyncs if I were doing it for the first time.

Ask Mark Elberson about the CTR-301Ps. He mentioned here that there's a new RF-602 that's working for folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lee
    Ask Mark Elberson about the [url="http://szyongnuo.en.alibaba.com/product/216244618-200177673/YONGNUO_Newest_PT_04_Flash_Sync_Trigger_Remote_CTR _301P.html]CTR-301Ps[/url]. He mentioned [url="/forums/p/2107/17073.aspx#17073]here[/url] that there's a new [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/RF602-RF-602-for-Canon-5D-5DII-50D-40D-with-2-receivers_W0QQitemZ180393806234QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ LH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a004f099a&_trksid =p3911.c0.m14]RF-602[/url] that's working for folks.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>
    So far so good :-) I think they are a terrific way to get started with off-camera-flash. I paid $80 and got (4) receivers and (2) transmitters. It's really hard to beat that! One thing I have noticed is that at max sync speed (1/250 on my 50D) I get an ever soslight band of black at the bottom of the frame. I now just keep it dialed down to 1/200 and below and have not had one problem.

If you're going to keep acquiring Canon TTL flashes then I'd consider the RadioPopper JrX System like Sean mentioned. You only have one flash right now so you could get set up for about $140 but when I was looking I already had 3 flashes and didn't want to shell out $300+ on my first set of triggers.

The new ControlTL Pocket Wizards suffer from RF interference if the receivers are close to a Canon 430EX, 580EX, or 580EXII flash. Classic Pocket Wizards (Plus, Multimax) don't suffer from the interference issues, nor do the ControlTL units suffer when the receivers are near a 430EX II flash.

I have a set of the ControlTL units (1 mini, 3 flex) and I really, really like them. After following the guidance on one of their tech bulletins, I've changed my default channels to ones with the highest of frequencies, and have since had excellent results. I shot a "fashion show" with three remote flashes and as far as I could see, every flash fired every time. I did take precautions to maximize reliability, but they all worked well. I'm (un)anxiously awaiting the ZoneController, so that I can adjust multiple zones without having to "waste" a big, heavy flash on-camera just for the knobs. With the correct (expensive) cable, I can remote trigger my cameras, and I'm really looking forward to that.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions so far. I've given the RadioPopper JrX units the most in-depth look at present. The CyberSyncs look nice and small but they are actually a little more expensive than the JrX basic kit, which I can get a transmitter and receiver for $120.

I ruled out the PWs because they are just too expensive at present. I can't be spending $200+ on each device without understanding how the system interfaces with my gear. Maybe when I need ETTL or have more strobe experience. If I'm going to spend that much money I would rather put it in more glass.

So let me get this straight. With the RadioPopper JrX, I use a headphone-type jack to connect the receiver to my flash unit, and the hotshoe to connect the transmitter to the camera, if I am triggering from the camera. But if, say, I've mounted the camera somewhere and want to trip the shutter remotely, I can plug the *receiver* into the camera, and keep the transmitter in my hand and trigger it that way, yes? (Of course, without a second receiver I can't do this *and* fire an off camera flash.) Now, in order to do this, the receiver does *not* plug into the hotshoe, but instead it has to use a cord. So I just let the receiver dangle from my camera...? [*-)]

It's funny...I've seen at least four or five different companies offer radio triggering systems and the common theme among all of them is a lack of clear documentation. It's difficult to find out how exactly the various models within a brand compare to each other, how they connect, etc. Maybe it's just me being stupid. I wish someone could point me to a video of how these things hook up
    and how they are used in a variety of configurations. That would do a
    lot to help my understanding.

wickerprints

Some flashes have sync ports that allow you to connect a cable directly to the wireless receiver. However, many flashes (especially Canon ones) do not have the port. In those situations, it's best to buy the Female Hotshoe Adapter with Miniphone Jack from flashzebra. The adapter connects to your umbrella swivel, and your flash sits on top of it. Then all you need is a miniphone to miniphone cable (assuming your wireless receiver of choice has a miniphone port) to connect the wireless receiver to the adapter. The adapter is great because you can plug just about any flash into it.

Well, that's my suggestion anyway... ;-)

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Cactus V4 triggers, love em.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Have had them for a few weeks now and have run off a few hundred shots, no misfires.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Max distance so far approx 40 feet not in line of sight, no problems.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I have a crappy job that pays a crappy wage so I don&rsquo;t have the latest and greatest of everything so hence I have to watch and be careful with what I can buy, but my set up gives me and my clients pleasing results.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I only wish I could afford to have three or four L lenses in my kit, with every accessory I use once a year, sorry kind of drifted off.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I have watched and read many a review on the V4&rsquo;s, some good some bad, but they work for me and I&rsquo;m happy.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Go the cactus. I have the 430EXII (1 of)on a 50D

+1 on Pocket Wizards. I use PW Plus II's to trigger some old 540ez flashes (using a hot shoe adapter of course :-) ) they work great, and are very reliable.

-e