Thread: 7d Review- when?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

7d Review- when?

Bunch of reviews starting to pop up. When is the official Digital Picture review coming? can't wait to read it...

Then again, one more glowing review may finally push me over the edge into springing for it. So take your time...

Re: 7d Review- when?

I already ordered one (body only), should be here late November. Dpreview gave it the thumps up and seen 3 more reviews saying that the unit is very good. Hope that Canon fixed up the latest bugs on my unit. I wonder if I have to put the (new) enclosed Solution Disk on my computer, or that I can use the one of my EOS 450D, which is already is on my Computer.

Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

GBC - Hopefully this week or next depending on how my schedule goes. Stay tuned!

That's good to read, I look forward to it too.

I have already ordered a 7D despite already having the excellent 5D II. I was loathe to get rid of my excellent Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 EF-S or my much-used 10-22mm EF-S wide angle zoom, and with the 7D I believe I will have a camera that will get the best out of these lenses.

Look forward to your 7D review.
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

DPreview had quite painted quite a glowing picture of the 7D in its review. However, this person seems to be on the other side of the fence when it comes to the 7D's picture quality.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

DPreview had quite painted quite a glowing picture of the 7D in its [url="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos7d/page30.asp]review[/url]. However, [url="http://darwinwiggett.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/the-canon-7d/]this person[/url] seems to be on the other side of the fence when it comes to the 7D's picture quality.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Sean, interesting find. Thanks.

To quote a friend of mine, "things that make you say, hmm."

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    To quote a friend of mine, "things that make you say, hmm."

Yeah, that's exactly what I said. I've had the 7D on my want list since it came out. But that's a rather frightening review. Of course you could make the case that their post processing wasn't right, or else they had in-camera sharpening set to 0 while the others were set higher. But without good evidence tonegate their claims, their review creates some worry in the mind of a potential buyer like myself.

But how could every other review miss such glaring image quality issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    However, this person seems to be on the other side of the fence when it comes to the 7D's picture quality.

Sensor resolution is affected by only two things:
    • Optical Low Pass Filter (OLPF, or anti-alias filter)
    • Megapixels.

Everything else is processing. If the 7D truly is softer (I have yet to see for myself), it can only be for one reason: Canon improved the OLPF. The 50D OLPF was too weak, and allowed a lot of aliasing artifacts. Many photographers love aliasing artifacts (they call it "sharpness"), and even advocate that the filter be removed. Personally, I think the 50D OLPF was far too weak and I prefer the 20D-style softening.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    The 50D OLPF was too weak, and allowed a lot of aliasing artifacts.

Apparently I don't understand. I thought the 50D has a weak olpf because it has a gapless sensor, and thus no aliasing artifacts except those caused by the bayer filter (far less severe than gap aliasing, I would have thought). Am I wrong?