Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B+W 77mm Circular Polarizer Multi-Resistant Coated (MRC)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

B+W 77mm Circular Polarizer Multi-Resistant Coated (MRC)

I am going to purchase a Circular Polarizer filter 77mm for my 24-105L lens on my XTI body. Do I need to get the slim model or will the regular one work with this lens?

B+W 77mm Circular Polarizer Multi-Resistant Coated (MRC)

Any other recommendations welcome.

Thanks,

Steve

Re: B+W 77mm Circular Polarizer Multi-Resistant Coated (MRC)

The slim model is beneficial if you're putting the filter on a wide-angle lens. At 24mm on a 1.6x body, the 24-105 won't be wide enough to benefit from the slim model.

<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    <title></title>
    <meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 3.1 (Win32)" />
    <style type="text/css"]
    &lt;!--
    @page { margin: 0.79in }
    P { margin-bottom: 0.08in }
    --&gt;
    </style>
    <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;"]That's pretty much top dog as far as
    filters go. I would recommend going ahead and buying the slim version
    because a full frame sensor camera might be in you future where its
    better to spend a little more now then turn around and buy a whole
    new slim filter in the future. Filters are one of those things
    that you can keep forever so try to keep future needs in mind.
    Cameras will continue to become more affordable where canon might
    twist your arm to purchase a bigger sensor camera. About five
    years ago I sprung for the high dollar Hoyapolarizer for the
    70-200mm f/4 lens thinking that I would never get the chance to own
    the 2.8 version. Well after a 5 months I sold that lens to get the
    2.8 version and had no need for a 67mm filter. Sold it on
    another photo sharing website to a lucky buyer that got a great deal
    on a perfect 150 dollar filter. I then had to turn around and buy the
    $170.00 82mm B+W slim C-Pol plus a step-up adapter ring so that I
    could use it on my other 77mm lenses. Step up ring adapter was 8
    dollars and now I should be covered well into the future.

I have the slim filter, and the only downside is that my regular lens caps don't fit on it, and the one that it comes with doesn't stay on at all. it just slides on and off, with no pinch-grips on the side. So just know that going in, if you plan on keeping the polarizer on the lens for an extended period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by gbc
    I have the slim filter, and the only downside is that my regular lens caps don't fit on it, and the one that it comes with doesn't stay on at all. it just slides on and off, with no pinch-grips on the side. So just know that going in, if you plan on keeping the polarizer on the lens for an extended period of time.

That's specifically the reason I'm not a fan of the slim filters. I use filters on all my lenses (even the wide-angle ones). To be honest, I don't mind the extra vignetting the normal filters cause.

I do mind the extra vignetting, but its a polarizer its not a UV filter so its not going to stay on your lens24/7.

If its a UV filter then I agree with Sean, you want the filter to be there so it will protect your lens element.

John.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass

I do mind the extra vignetting, but its a polarizer its not a UV filter so its not going to stay on your lens24/7.

If its a UV filter then I agree with Sean, you want the filter to be there so it will protect your lens element.

John.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

This is a more interesting thread than it appears. I have the normal B+W polarising filter and I find it very annoying to use with my UV protector filters. I either put it on top of the UV filter, which results in nasty vignetting on the wide end of my 24-70 and the two also often get stuck together, or I have to take the UV filter off first. But that's easier said than done without getting finger marks all over the glass and you end up juggling filters and filter boxes and cameras and lenses - which is time consuming and risks a filter getting dropped. Reading this thread I wish I'd bought the slim filter to avoid all that.

One thing I find annoying about my filter is that it's hard to get the polarising half of the filter to rotate separately to the rest of the unit. It's so stiff that it tends to just unscrew the filter. If you screw the filter in hard enough to prevent that, then it becomes very difficult to remove. Not really ideal.

I only use one filter at a time. I also use a UV filter for general purpose shooting (walking around). If I have my tripod and shooting for serious work, I don't use the UV filter. I don't know if I get sharper images without the filter or not. It just makes me feel like I'm getting the sharpest image possible without the UV on. I for sure would not have two filters on at one time.

I'll probably be getting the slim B&amp;W polarizing filter myself sometime soon as I do notice vignetting at the wide end of my 24-105mm L EF on a 5D II full-frame body while using the non-slim version.

However, as others have mentioned, with a conventional slim filter, you do not have the option to use your normal lens caps and have to use a slip-on version.

I already have the slim B&amp;W UV filter on my 10-22mm EF-S and was not that happy with the standard B&amp;W slip-on cap. I eventually replaced it with a Kaiser 80mm push-on that I like much better, although still not as much as the standard Canon clip-on cap. But a slim filter for the 10-22mm is essential if you like to keep a filter on all the time for protection, as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by musickna

But a slim filter for the 10-22mm is essential if you like to keep a filter on all the time for protection, as I do.

Have you considered the new(ish) XS-Pro mount from B+W? It's a slim filter, but has front threads so the Canon cap will attach (although not fully down - there's one less turn of the threads on the mount, compared to the F-Pro mount).