Thread: Some Snowboarding Anyone?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Some Snowboarding Anyone?

With Pittsburgh picking up one foot of fresh powder yesterday, (and a snow day!) my friends and I had a busy day.

This winter I'm going to try to put a book together of the season. Titled "Arsty Fartsy: Snow Stories". Artsy Fartsy is the "crew" name, and snow stories seemed appropriate. I plan on doing a lifestyle portrait of each rider and then 5-10 of their best images from the season following the portrait. Let me know what you think of the possible choices so far!

Critique is welcome, but this post has more of a show and tell vibe, so that's where I put it.

I'm saving for the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and can't wait! I cringe every time I use he kit lens. (Mine has been abused by a reckless friend and focuses horribly. I'm not saying great images can't be taken with a kit lens )

Thanks!

Canon 20D 18-55 kit lens @ 18mm. 1/250 f/4 ISO 200

Strobist Info: 1 Vivitar 285HV bare, @ 1/4 camera left in front, facing riders, fired via CyberSyncs. 1 Canon 430EXII bare, on camera ETTL

Canon 20D 18-55 kit lens @ 27mm. 1/250 f/4 ISO 100

Strobist Info: 1 Vivitar 285HV bare, @ 1/4 camera left in front, facing riders, fired via CyberSyncs. 1 Canon 430EXII bare, on camera ETTL

Canon 20D 18-55mm kit lens @ 18mm. 1/160 f/4.5 ISO 100

Strobist Info: 1 Canon 430EXII bare, @ 1/2 -0.3 camera right at the bottom. 1 Vivitar 285HV bare, @ 1/2 camera left at the top.
    Fired via CyberSyncs

Canon 20D 18-55mm kit lens @ 18mm. 1/160 f/8 ISO 800

Strobist Info: 1 Canon 430EXII bare, @ 1/2 -0.3 camera right at the bottom. 1 Vivitar 285HV bare, @ 1/2 camera left at the top.
    Fired via CyberSyncs

Re: Some Snowboarding Anyone?

Great shots Roger, I really like how nicely the guys 'pop out' in the shots, is that just lighting or was a bit of post necessary for that?
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

Very nice, Rodger!

Thanks all!
    <div>

Quote Originally Posted by twistedphrame
    I really like how nicely the guys 'pop out' in the shots, is that just lighting or was a bit of post necessary for that?

It's a bit of both actually. On number 3, The vivitar is directly behind the rider which makes for the intense backlighting. All of the images went through +100 clarity though in Lightroom 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasphotog

The last one is the one that jumps off the page...

Great WOW factor.
    <div>
    </div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Thanks Dallas! One more vivitar snooted to throw some light at his face and I'd love it haha.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div></div>
    <div></div>
    <div>
    Quote Originally Posted by ShutterbugJohan
    Very nice, Rodger!
    </div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Thanks Johan!!</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel
    A shame you've that guy in the background in your frame though.
    </div>
    <div></div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Yeahh, I can see where just the rider would be a bit nicer, but I think that filmers in still photos and photogs in movie parts is legit in the snow industry. I've seen a couple images and video parts that include other filmers/photogs. So, I do see where not having him there would be nice, but at the same time, I'm not too worried </div>
    <div></div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Again, Thanks for all your kind words!</div>
    <div></div>
    <div></div>
    <div></div>
    </div>

The last one is the one that jumps off the page...

Great WOW factor.

I love #2 en #3 Rodger! A shame you've that guy in the background in your frame though. The shadows in the third one really add something to the picture.

Great stuff Rodger! You've become quite the strobist!! Are the CyberSyncs a new addition to your kit?

Yessir they are! got them a week after Christmas with money from the grandparents! (So glad I got into photography before I'm too old for presents haha).

Thanks Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger
    (So glad I got into photography before I'm too old for presents haha
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>
    I'm 31 and I still bank on presents to help fund my habbit...I mean buy photography gear :-)