Thread: First attempt at black and white!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First attempt at black and white!

sorry about this i sized the images wrong.

Hi there everyone!

So this is my first attempt at Black and White photos, with the mono chromatic setting on my 50D . Let me know what you think.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.37.77/leaf-1.jpg[/img]

1/500 sec @ f/2.8
    70mm
    ISO 500
    EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.37.77/leaf-2.jpg[/img]

1/500 sec @ f/2.8
    63mm
    ISO 400
    EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.37.77/leaf-3.jpg[/img]

1/500 sec @ f/2.8
    63mm
    ISO 400
    EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.37.77/leaf-4.jpg[/img]

1/500 sec @ f/2.8
    63mm
    ISO 400
    EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM

Re: First attempt at black and white!

Good choice of subject for a B&W: lots of opportunity to show texture and tonal contrast. Overall they are good. I like the last one best. Personally, I think I would have preferred deeper DOF, but isn't that always the case with macro? []

I find the depth of field a little distracting. The texture of the leaves is the great part of the photo, so I hate to see so much of it lost.

I'm really sorry but I'm gonna steal your idea [:P]Love the abstractness of them, definitely going to try something myself. Looks cool! DOF is great I must say, I don't think you had the intention to show us a leaf, but to make an abstract picture right?"macrostyle [H]"

:-) thanks everyone for the comments. And after taking the photos i recently printed them all out as a series for a client from my work, she offered me $1000 bucks for the series. Couldn't pass that up, but she did comment on the abstract-ness of them and said that's why she wanted them. She said that she liked how the focus was abstract for being macro, and that it made you look deeper into the photo. hahah well that's what she told, so I definitely am going to include some of the abstract in my macro from now on. But I very much appreciate the critique, I will also next time size the images correctly so you can see the whole image!

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tallywho
    she offered me $1000 bucks for the series.

OMG I am SO going to start shooting leaves! [H] Can you give me your client's phone number (Just kidding)

nice series BTW.

oh and for those of you who are new like me, if you right click on the images and click view image, you can see the whole thing as it was shot. Once again sorry on my sheer-noob with posting shots for the first time