Thread: rented 7d and 70-200 2.8 for a hockey game

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

rented 7d and 70-200 2.8 for a hockey game

My camera body is a 40D, but when I rec'd thisopportunity (specifically to catch ads w/in a game for UNH clients) to shoot a U. New Hampshire hockey game I decided to try the 7D because of the lighting in the rink.

If you've read some of my posts, you've read myfrustration concerning the 40D, 100-400 in low light situations....I'm trying to figure out how to handle this issue; trade for a new body or trade for a faster lens.

Anyhow I thought this would be a nice (didn't want to chance 40D even w/70-200 2.8)opportunity to use the 7D in a tough lighting situation.

C & C welcome

Re: rented 7d and 70-200 2.8 for a hockey game

They look pretty good. What ISO were you shooting at? Was it a 70-200 f/2.8 IS or non-IS?

Sean...here's the info; 70-200 2.8 IS, the 3 pix you're asking about were all shot at ISO 640, 1/640, f3.2 and looking at the pictures I've worked (LR 2.5)on (I have nearly 400 more to go thru) this info is pretty consistent w/a few exceptions; ISO 500, 1/800 (below).

Regards

Bill

I'm surprised you only had to use ISO 640. I think the camera captured some great images that night. What mode were you shooting in (Av, Tv, M)? The reason I'm asking is because your images look like they may be slightly underexposed. That said, exposing for a whiter ice would probably have washed out the players' uniforms a bit.

I'd kinda like to see one with the exposure boosted by 1/3 stop in DPP... :-)

I experimented w/all 3, but settled in on M (my comfort zone). It was a balancing act for exposure...Itried to keepmy exposure to the right,trying not to over exposeone or more of the 3 various shades of white.

I also tried to keep the ISO down for fear of noise...being unfamiliar (read; confident)w/the 7D, and first time shooting in a rink; I didn't know where the threshold would be, though looking back, I feel I couldhave bumped it to 800, maybe a 1000. All this andnot allowing the shutterto go below1/500.....less than this and feet, sticks, etc. start to blur....I was stressed. []

My DPP doesn't support the 7D and they don't send the CD w/the cameraon a rental, hence,my using LR.

This question may come up, so here's the answer; If you don't have a rental shopnear you, use LensRental. This was my 3rd experience w/them and it was great. The only down side is you have to sign for delivery, but it saves me from driving into Boston (twice) to rent equipment.

Download the DPP update on the 7D product page on the Canon website. You have to select your operating system first before the download will show, I believe. :-)