Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Train

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Train

Here is one from my archives, though some technical errors, it's still one of my favorites--

Canon XTI, 24-105L @105MM, 105MM, F11, 1/250

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.23/Narrow-Gauge-Rail-Silverton-Co.jpg[/img]

Bob

Re: Train

Nice! Was it a panic shoot? I know trains can come up quick..

-Shea

No, Infact I waited for it for about 45 minutes, but when it came, I realized my shutter was way to slow. I needed to keep the aperture fairly tight for DOF, but failed to raise ISO toget shutter speed up. And........it was too cold to wait another 6 hours for the next train.
    Bob

f/11 1/250th iso 200 Seems reasonable (for shake), even for handheld, maybe a bit dark on the meter...

BTW - I don't usually recommend auto anything in photoshop, but auto color really neutralizes the blue cast of this shot, if you are interested in such things.

-S

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Design

f/11 1/250th iso 200 Seems reasonable (for shake), even for handheld, maybe a bit dark on the meter...

BTW - I don't usually recommend auto anything in photoshop, but auto color really neutralizes the blue cast of this shot, if you are interested in such things.

-S
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thanks Shea, I'll give it a try. The haze was very thick the day I took this shot, But maybe your trick will help neutralize some of that. Regarding the shake/movement, I chased this train for about 3 hours, and it seemed that almost all of the shots had a bit of movement blur. The one thing I thought about after seeing the results is that this train had a lot of side to side movement as welland I was always shooting it as it came towards me; With static objects I tend to do ok as far as camera shake goes, but I still need to work on camera shake when tracking a moving subject.

I do plan to go back there some day just to try this shot again.

Thanks again for your input, It's appreciated.

Bob

Bob

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Design

-S
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Bob, Shea is right about the blue cast. I also looked at it, and did some further work on it, as well.

I love this train shot, and it wouldn't take much to jazz it up with a few color corrections.

That is some amazing scenery Bob. I think the wide (ish) depth of field was a good choice here to retail some detail in the mountains/trees etc.

Where was it taken?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by Alan

Bob, Shea is right about the blue cast. I also looked at it, and did some further work on it, as well.

I love this train shot, and it wouldn't take much to jazz it up with a few color corrections.

Alan, Please feel free to "Jazz it up", I played with it a little this morning in PS, but the auto color/levels didn't do much.I will work on it again tonight.

Question: Will any of the filters help with the haze?

Bob

bob, i love this shot! i did a quick color balance using NIK software color efx pro to take out some of that blue/cyan hue in the foreground.

EDITED POST:Bob, i tried the auto color that shea design suggested and got some good results and did some minor curves adjustments for contrast which brought your image to much the same as my original post as well as Alan's edited image. I think the curves adjustment might be the antidote to your haze question. Maybe Shea or Alan can suggest other options.
    <div></div>

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.03/Narrow_2D00_Gauge_2D00_Rail_2D00_Silverton_2D00_Co-copy.jpg[/img]

Alan

Todd, you're good. Very good. You beat me to the punch. Not knowing exactly what Bob saw, I didn't change a whole lot in the green trees, in the background.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.34/Narrow_2D00_Gauge_2D00_Rail_2D00_Silverton_2D00_Co-2.jpg[/img]