Thread: EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM as Walk Around Lens

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM as Walk Around Lens

Hi,

I saw in various forum that users of EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM use it as walk around lens. I would like to know what is the difference using macro lens with fixed 100mm as walk around lens versus the usual zoom lens, for e.g., my current 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS.

What is the limitation of using a fixed length (100mm) lens as walk around lens?

Is it okay to handheld a macro lens and snap pictures while walking? Most people said a macro lens need to be on tripod to get good macro pictures.

Thank you.

Re: EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM as Walk Around Lens

Quote Originally Posted by csphua

Hi,

I saw in various forum that users of EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM use it as walk around lens. I would like to know what is the difference using macro lens with fixed 100mm as walk around lens versus the usual zoom lens, for e.g., my current 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS.

What is the limitation of using a fixed length (100mm) lens as walk around lens?

Is it okay to handheld a macro lens and snap pictures while walking? Most people said a macro lens need to be on tripod to get good macro pictures.

Thank you.

The limitations of a 100mm walk around lens are that it's too long for serious wide angle or landscape photography but too short to be a real tele lens. A macro lens can certainly be used as a walkaround lens but can be awkward and in general 100mm lenses are "not up to the job", but they can certainly be used as a general purpose. This is why a zoom like your 18-200 is more popular as a walk-around lens.

Tripods are needed for super closeup macro photography at narrow apertures like what this guy does:

http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/galleries/macro-italy_trebbia_valley_02.htm

I do my macro handheld. A tripod certainly isn't necessary for most types of macro photography.

hope I answered your question.

brendan

Using a lens like the 100mm macro lens (or any other prime lens) as walk-around lens means you have to get used to seeing the way the lens views the world... it forces you to move a lot more, change your point of view and really work your creative side in order to get good photos. If that sounds like too much effort then I wouldn't suggest going down this route, but I find its usually very rewarding. Granted, my only zoom is the 18-55 IS that came with my 450D, but I usually do photowalks with only one lens... either my 50mm/1.8 or my 100mm/2.8.

I should also add, one benefit to leaving the superzoom at home is that your overall image quality will be significantly better in terms of sharpness, contrast, and colour

Is it okay to handheld a macro lens and snap pictures while walking?
    Most people said a macro lens need to be on tripod to get good macro
    pictures.

If there is enough light go for it! I take my 100mm f/2.8 out whenever I want that 2.8 aperture and sharp results (especially stopped down a bit). Basically you should have no problem till f/8 or so (subject will vary greatly), then you might have to start pushing the ISO so that noise becomes a consideration. Most people can handhold 1/250th, 1/90th on a good day, so pick a safe shutter speed and work out the rest of the exposure triangle however you like, or can, for the conditions. Obviously a tripod buys you shutter time enabling a lower ISO or a small f stop (f/16 - 32).

I suggest you read the book Understanding Exposure, and start thinking about a flash (off camera).

-sHEA

IMO, the EF100mm f/2.8L is a very versatile lens. Take a look at Bryan's photo gallery. Along with his macro shots, he has some absolutely awesome landscape photos posted that were taken with it. I have this lens and I am extremely pleased with its versatility!

Denise

Yeah, as a prime, and it's obvious, it lacks versatility. But...

This lens is absolutely fabulous. And I'm talking (not too wide) landscapes, street photography and some sports but not specifically macro.

Tack sharp, great color contrast, good bokeh.

I get better results with it than with my 24-105, and the image is more consistent than ... with my 70-200 f2.8 (sacrilege, bad serie, bad photographer, er ... ?). Only the 17-40 L is close to bring the same satisfaction (quality talking).

Sure, for macro work, it's geat, but finally I prefer a TS-E than the straight macro approach.

The stab allows very "last second" pictures, usually lost with the 24-105.. . It's very responsive.

IMO, my best Canon buy since a long time. IMO only.

Hey

Put your 18-200 at about 100mm and start walking around

I use my 100mm non L lens for walkaround lens quite some time. It's just a little bit harder to make a good composition, but the results are just amazing. The IS would help you out a lot with normal walkaround photos. Also for macro I never use a tripod, I use flash most of the time and I like that better. But that's a personal preference.

Indoors you would be very limited by the focal length though....but I assume you keep the 18-200 as well? And the image quality from the 100mm L will probably knock your socks off compared to the 18-200 []

Jan