Thread: auto or manual focus, which is sharper?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

auto or manual focus, which is sharper?

I was just wondering if the majority of you use auto or manual to focus?

I was thinking, how does the sensor know if the af point i select is the sharpest it can be; so i end up always tweaking it with manual mode.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Re: auto or manual focus, which is sharper?

I use autofocus almost exclusively...

AF in modern cameras is very, very good. Your profile indicates you have a Rebel - so in your case, AF is going to be the most accurate than using the viewfinder. The standard focusing screen in dSLRs isn't optimal for manual focusing - in some higher end dSLRs you can replace the focusing screen with ones that are. If you have time and are set up on a tripod, even more accurate than AF will be using LiveView at 10x magnification and manual focus.

But, for everyday shooting, like Sean I use AF almost exclusively. MF is for macro, mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    But, for everyday shooting, like Sean I use AF almost exclusively. MF is for macro, mostly.

What the brain surgeon said...

good to know. when i do have the camera set up on a tripod, i do use live mode to manual focus and zoom in to check it like you mentioned. However i just find my self wondering if my eye can detect my subject sharper of if the sensor can in af...

kind of a crazy loop of self doubt and technology doubt strung together lol.

I use auto focus when I use my AF lenses, but I have many manual lenses and theyfar more difficultto use. But after lots of practice it works.

I'd take AF any day,

John.

Yep AF all the way. I just need to upgrade my body soI have AF microadjust as a couple of my lenses are ever so slightly out - enough to give me the sh$%s at times anyway.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor
    I just need to upgrade my body soI have AF microadjust as a couple of my lenses are ever so slightly out

Yeah - that was one of the main reasons I upgraded from a T1i to a 7D. [] The AF microadjustments ranged from +2 to -5 on various lenses.

If you can see good enough, manual focus can be the best. however, for most images, autofocus works fine. Where it does not do as well is product photography where I want certain features of a product to be highlighted and have the sharpest focus. to do that, i tether my camera to my PC and view the image live while focusing manually. I can also adjust aperture and view depth of field, as well as picture style, overall exposure, color temperature, etc.

I use Breeze DSLR Remote software, Canon users can also use the free software that comes with their DSLR's.

Live view is an excellent tool for focusing in macro situations. I'd be lost without it. Autofocus will almost always be off by some degree, but it typically won't bother you unless you are shooting at f/2.8 or with macro lenses. If you are A.R. like me, get a Lens Align kit (http://www.lensalign.com/), and calibrate your camera with the micro adjust technique as described in earlier posts on this thread. This only works with Canon's higher-level cameras though. I was surprised how much the focus was off for some of my lenses.