Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMG_0001 !!!!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

IMG_0001 !!!!!!

Recieved my 5D Mk II + 24-70mm f/2.8 in the mail today. This is the very first shot of it with the new combo. Hadn't adjusted any settings whatsoever before taking this shot - basically straight out of the box (even shot in JPEG for the first time in donkeys years).

Lucky I have such a poser for a dog! Not an amazing shot by any means and there was very littlethoughtput into it....but it's number one so it's special. I didn't want to waste that first shot on a random picture of the wall or something like that.

So far I'm stoked. Haven't had too much of a play yet but it's a wonderful piece of gear.

Meet Matilda:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.34/IMG_5F00_0001_2D00_2.jpg[/img]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Re: IMG_0001 !!!!!!

Congrats with your new toys. Very good for a very first shot. I'm awaiting my 5d mk2, (already own 24-70 f2.8) and should be here in the next couple of days. Will do the same as you. Will keep you posted. Wally
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

very nice, indeed! congrats on your toys!
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

Congratz Ben! I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much![Y]

I was shocked how brilliant photos come out even untouched compared to my 50D. Amazing camera the 5D2 [H]

Great pic and great combo, congrats!

Very nice shot for one with no thought behind it! [;-)]

Congrats and wishes of many happy full frame pictures![]

Thanks guys. I took the new gear out yesterday evening with a friend who's just starting out and had a play.

1. Autofocus is spot on for what Iwant to do. I think a lot of the people that have issues with the 5D Mk II's AF system try to use for purposes for which it wasn't designed. It's the perfect portrait/wedding/landscape camerabut is not necessarilya sports camera. Not to say it cannot be used as a sports camera at all - Freelanceshots has shown that a few times now.I'm not particularly into sports photography/ wildlife so I don't necessarily need great tracking performance. I race motocross and play a million other sports so there's not many opportunities to photograph sports when your on the field/track yourself.

Having microadjust is a great feature. I wasn't getting the 50mm f/1.8 II out very often because it was slightly off focus on the 40D, with such a narrow DOF that became an issue. Gave it a +7 adjustment and it's excellent -it really is the best bang-for-your-buck lens out there. The 24-70mm and the 70-200mm are both fine with no adjustment - that makes me happy. I have noticed the centre focus point is much much more responsive than the outer points though - I did notice a little hunting when using the outer points but I'll learn it's limitations and work within them.

2. The overall colour/contrast and tone of the images it produces are a massive step up from the 40D... and I mean massive. Especially with the 24-70. Images straight out of the camera are gorgeous. There's so much colour depth and rich tones, it just amazed me. The overall image quality makes me salivate.

3. Build quality (to me) feels great. I've heard people say it's not built well but I can't fault it. Maybe a bit more weather sealing around the CF card door would be nice but I'll just make up a little gasket like I did with the 40D and that'll do it. It's a hefty piece of gear with the battery grip attached and there's no play between the body and the grip. I don't have a1 series body to compare it to but I'm happy with it.

4. The 24-70mm f/2.8L is probably one of the best lens purchases I've made to date. It's built like a brick sh!thouse (that's good BTW if you're not Australian), is sharp at all apertures and is so versatile. I don't think I'll need a wide angle lens for a long time having that in my kit as it still works well for landscape stuff (I'm a little over landscapes at the moment anyway). I feel as though it's going to be a versatile lens for my needs.

That's about it for now - I'm really happy to be honest. I feel I've made the perfect choice and that's important.

Good times [Y]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor
    Build quality (to me) feels great. I've heard people say it's not built well but I can't fault it.

When I first got my 5DII, I was moving from a 1D, and the 5D felt like a toy. But that only lasted a day or two.

Congrats on the new toys!! I'm trying to pick up a 5dMark II myself but I gotta sell my 40d and other items first. I just posted the FS post today. Hopefully, it goes quick.