Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100mm macro IS and twin flash

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

100mm macro IS and twin flash

Does anyone know if the MT-24 works on the new 100mm IS macro? If so, is an adapter required? Seems like it must work, but I wasn't able to verify this anywhere. Maybe I'm just being an idiot.

Thanks for any info.

Jon.

Re: 100mm macro IS and twin flash

Hey Jon,

This is from the B&H website:

&bull; Attaches EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, <span style="background-color: #ffff00;"]EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS (requires Macrolite Adapter CMLA67 (not included)), EF 100mm Macro f/2.8 USM, and MP-E 65mm Macrophoto Lenses [without filters attached] (can also be used with EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM via Macrolite Adapter 72C)
    Can be adapted to other popular filter sizes with appropriate Macrolite Adapters; 52mm, 58mm &amp; 72mm

This is off Adorama's website ...
    Mounts directly onto Canon EF Macro lenses: EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro, and MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1 5x Macrophoto.
    Attaches with accessory ring Macro Lite Adapter 72C to EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro.

Canon's website...
    Attaches to all Canon EF macro lenses (EF 180mm f/3.5L requires Macro Lite Adapter 72C).

So, I don't think you needthe adapter except for use with the 180mm but with what Mark found...now I'm confused! [*-)]

I've been debating whether to purchase this or a new lens!

Denise

Yes, you need the Macrollite Adapter 67. The Canon macro flashes attach directly only to lenses with a 58mm filter thread (like all the lenses Denise listed).

I guess I should read more carefully!

Cool. I looked at the description of the IS lens, not the description of the
    flash, as I should have.

I have read that the twin flash "is compatible with all canon macro lenses", but I thought that might have been written before the IS came out.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

I guess I should read more carefully!

Not at all - Canon (and Adorama, etc.) need to update their product descriptions, which apparently were not updated to account for the new 100mm L Macro released late last year.

Denise, In my humble opinion, I think get a lens. The MT-24 is a very specialized flash for super closeups and isn't worth $800 compared to $800 spent on a 10-22mm or 135 f/2 or anything else (on that never ending wishlist).

Good Luck!

brendan

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223
    <div id="ctl00_ctl00_bcr_bcr_PostForm__QuoteText"]

Denise, In my humble opinion, I think get a lens. The MT-24 is a very specialized flash for super closeups and isn't worth $800 compared to $800 spent on a 10-22mm or 135 f/2 or anything else (on that never ending wishlist).

Good Luck!

brendan
    </div>

Hi Brendan,

I already made a couple purchases today including one lens...I was referring to possible still purchasing yet another lens or something else on my list.

Denise

Just a heads-up to Jon, Denise, and anyone else considering purchasing the MT-24EX - apparently, there will be a Canon USA rebate on this flash starting soon. Amount TBD, but previous rebates were $70.