Thread: Beauty Dish

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Beauty Dish

After trying out a friend's beauty dish for a few weeks (thanks Sean[]), I found I really like the effect I was able to get fromit. Now I am wondering, is there any real benefit of one beauty dish over another? I found this one on ebay that is $20 cheaper than the Lumodi.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360268812765&s sPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I do worry the cardboard on the Lumodi wouldn't hold up after significant usage. But then again, I like how the Lumodi is made to fit my precise flash size. I am not sure of the difference in the materials used for the rest of the dish.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110526512792&s sPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I am hoping to order one or the other tonight or tomorrow so any input is appreciated.

Thanks Much!

Denise

Beauty Dish

After trying out a friend's beauty dish for a few weeks (thanks Sean[]), I found I really like the effect I was able to get fromit. Now I am wondering, is there any real benefit of one beauty dish over another? I found this one on ebay that is $20 cheaper than the Lumodi.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360268812765&s sPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I do worry the cardboard on the Lumodi wouldn't hold up after significant usage. But then again, I like how the Lumodi is made to fit my precise flash size. I am not sure of the difference in the materials used for the rest of the dish.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110526512792&s sPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I am hoping to order one or the other tonight or tomorrow so any input is appreciated.

Thanks Much!

Denise

Re: Beauty Dish

CARDBOARD!?

The first one looks more like a traditional beauty dish.

The thing about a beauty dish is that it is designed to work with a bare bulb, with light emanating from all sides as well as the front. This allows for the light to fall off in an even more gradient fashion. The head on light is baffled and the sides of the bare bulb is the actual real light source. This is why traditional beauty dishes are more shallow than the Lamodi. The Lamodi is more like a big reflector where it act like a softened spot light.

Any "strobist" beauty dish is going to be inhibited by the unidirectional light of a flash. You could always attach a Stofen to you flash but it will greatly reduce the strength of the light.

Again the closest light I have found to a beauty dish for "strobist" is the 36" Photok Softlighter with the silver insert in place.

Oh, but my point is if you liked the light from Sean's then you should probably go with the Lamodi. The light from the other will be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

Oh, but my point is if you liked the light from Sean's then you should probably go with the Lamodi. The light from the other will be different.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

That's what I'm thinking ...I should probably stick with what I know I liked rather than just trying to save a few $. I didn't know if they would really give different lighting effects.

Thanks!
    Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

<div style="CLEAR:both;"]</div>

That's what I'm thinking ...I should probably stick with what I know I liked rather than just trying to save a few $. I didn't know if they would really give different lighting effects.

Thanks!
    Denise

I think the light will be a lot different. The Lamodi is much deeper. The other is designed like a dish designed for a bare bulb and is much shallower. You'd also need a lot more power to achieve the same f/stop and the light will fill the area a lot more.

What is on the backside of the baffle on the Lamodi? Is it a mirror or just painted white?

What is on the backside of the baffle on the Lamodi? Is it a mirror or just painted white?

Ummm...I never really looked at it. Just painted white, I believe I already mailed it back to Sean. Sean, where are you!?

Denise

My daughter is ordering the Lumodi for me as an early birthday gift...what a gal!! [G] []

Denise