Thread: For all the wedding photographers or party picture takers, have a question?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

For all the wedding photographers or party picture takers, have a question?

I noticed that majority of wedding photographers set up strobes for the dance to get the best possible exposure. Do you usually use two strobes with triggers or just one off camera and one on your camera itself? Do you position them by the DJ or off in a corner?

Previous weddings have been actually lit pretty well and high iso on my camera plus fast glass have been great. Just trying to switch it up a bit and see what I can do.

Thanks,

Jayson

Re: For all the wedding photographers or party picture takers, have a question?

For me it all depends on the ceiling.

If it is white I can usually just shoot with on camera with a gary fong diffuser pointed upward. I usually take the dome off the gary fong if the ceiling is over 12 feet.

If the ceiling is black or we are outdoors then I use off camera flash.

I have used strobes set up on stands but the problem is I move around so much it makes it difficult to keep them in the right spot.

An assistant with an off camera flash attached to a monopod is ideal as they can move in the opposite direction of me during the dancing.

My ISO is usually 800+ and I set my white balance to custom and use a white card.

My biggest problem at receptions is that I get everything set and then someone decides to turn off all the lights with no notice. This is frequently the case for the first dance or the boquet toss.