Thread: Bridge changing my colors?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bridge changing my colors?

Hey guys,

So for my processing workflow, I generally import photos from the camera into Bridge, do some basic edits in ACR and then in CS4 if needed. My problem though, is that I have a custom profile on my 7D for when I take the images that automatically sharpens the images and reduces the contrast. When the files show up in Bridge, they are darker and aren't sharpened. To make sure I wasn't just seeing things, I compared the images on my screen to that of my camera. They were different. So I tried again using the monochrome color profile. Once the images got into bridge, they went immediately to color again.

Does Bridge just kill the user color profile when it imports the images? And is there anyway to keep it from doing that?

Thanks,

Mike
    7D | 1D Classic | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS

Re: Bridge changing my colors?

Raw or jpeg? The in-camera adjustments only apply to jpeg images, raw images are processed outside the camera, and except for DPP, may not be applied on the import of raw images.

That would be why then. I shoot in raw only.

That
    7D | 1D Classic | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG2012
    That would be why then. I shoot in raw only.

Yep. Picture Styles (default and custom), as well as things like Peripheral Illumination Correction, Auto Lighting Optimizer, etc., are applied to in-camera JPGs. The settings are written into the RAW files, but while Canon's DPP recognizes and applies them to the RAW file during processing, other image processing programs do not.

So if I want to apply the picture styles to the RAW files, I

You'd have to process them to 16-bit TIFF files with DPP, then bring those into PS. DPP will save changes directly to the RAW files, but as metadata that it recognizes but PS/Bridge/LR/etc. do not (AFAIK, only DPP can write editing parameters into the RAW file metadata - other programs use 'sidecar' files).