Thread: Eagles-Merrimack River Eagle Festival

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Eagles-Merrimack River Eagle Festival

Hi Everyone,

I was going to post on this a little later but I was just talking to people about it and making plans. A few weeks ago, I learned of the Merrimack River Eagle Festival in Newburyport, MA (February 12). Here is the link if any of you are interested.

http://www.massaudubon.org/Nature_Connection/Sanctuaries/Joppa_Flats/news.php?id=1152&event=no&sanc_news=yes

If I understand it correctly, the eagles congregate near Newburyport in the winter because the Merrimack River doesn't freeze over in this stretch.

I went out looking for eagles on New Years Eve, didn't see any, but my BIF duck/GBH pictures were less than great. I am headed down there again this weekend to try my luck and I was wondering if anyone had some general tips on capturing birds in flight, eagles in particular or,if anyone has done this before,eagles around Newburyport. I am planning on using my 7D with the 100-400L. I have a polarizer, but I am not sure if I'll have enough light to lose the 1.7 stops. I was using AI Servo with only the single AF middle point active. I am thinking about using AI Servo with all AF points active. Also, before I kept my ISO at 400. I'm now thinking of bumping it to ISO 1600 to give myself more shutter speedand perhaps use the polarizer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Brant

Re: Eagles-Merrimack River Eagle Festival

Looks like fun. I was just planning my yearly eagle adventure also. If you live around Northeast Missouri and have never gone to Eagle Days I suggest you go:

www.greatriverroad.com/.../eagledays.htm

Last year I counted around 65. They congregate in mass numbers at Lock and Damn #24 in Clarksville. There are also tons of pelicans flying in formation and sitting around too. If anything, it
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

Lucky... here almost all the birds have traveled south. I am soon gonna join them but then they are probably going back home. Have fun!

Brant,

Thanks for bringing my attention to this. I live near Newburyport and will try to make it there.

There is a Photo excursion on Feb. 11th related to the Eagle festival also.

Brett
    Brett

For those living in and around New York, there will be a yearly Hudson River Eagle Fest in Croton on Hudson, NY on February 5.

Brett...thanks for the tip on the excursion. Unfortunately, I had to work yesterday.

But today was a good day.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-46-64-Birds/Eagle-1.JPG[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-46-64-Birds/Eagle-2.JPG[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-46-64-Birds/Eagle-3.JPG[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-46-64-Birds/Eagle-4.JPG[/img]

Most of these are highly cropped. ButC&C's arewelcome.

Thanks...Brant