Thread: Insurance for our toys!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Insurance for our toys!

Hello all!

I

Re: Insurance for our toys!

Quote Originally Posted by naturac
    I will read over my homeowners policy, but I'm sure that will only cover at home accidents.

Likely your homeowners policy will have a low cap for camera equipment, possibly $500. But, most commonly your insurance company will separately cover camera gear - call them and ask. Some do it as a rider on your homeowners insurance, others issue a separate policy. I have one through State Farm (they call it a Personal Articles policy, the same one that covers jewelry, etc.), no deductible, full replacement coverage, covers any loss/damage/theft, applies worldwide, and I pay $7.60 per year per $1000 of covered equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    I have one through State Farm (they call it a Personal Articles policy, the same one that covers jewelry, etc.), no deductible, full replacement coverage, covers any loss/damage/theft, applies worldwide, and I pay $7.60 per year per $1000 of covered equipment.

That's a great policy. Mine's not nearly that nice or inexpensive.

Sean, that

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Sean, that's likely because it's a *personal* articles policy. One stipulation is no business use, no making money from the gear. A business policy, which you need, would be more costly.

Good point, and it is. :-)

Hi naturac,

In my experience, I have found myself with 2 insurance

Quote Originally Posted by malfunctions
    I am reassured over the cover I get since I end up in lens damaging places and travel...

The main reason I have coverage is for a major loss - burglary at home, theft or loss by airline while traveling, dropping my 5DII + 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II (>$5K replacement value) off a cliff, etc. Just remember to decide carefully before fiing a claim. If you file a claim it is entered into theCLUE database, and that can affect your premiums for your home/renters insurance (or your ability to obtain new coverage). If you drop and break your nifty-fifty it's probably not a good idea to file a claim even though there may not be a deductible.

Quote Originally Posted by naturac

I will read over my homeowners policy, but I'm sure that will only cover at home accidents.

Many homeowner policies cover your items no matter where you are. But some have limits. I checked mine a while back and its coverage goes worldwide. Best thing to do is call your insurance agent and get it in writing.

My policy does not cover camera equipment, jewelery and one other item which I can't remember now. Unless they are specifically listed on the policy. All this amounted to was sending a list of my equipment and wife's jewelery with the value to the insurance company. They added it to the policy and now I see it in writing.

It pays to read your policy, and it doesn't pay when you loose somthing and then find out you were not covered.

I use State Farm Personal Article Policy