Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Software Optics Pro 6 for Post processing Images

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Software Optics Pro 6 for Post processing Images

Although my Canon EOS 7 D provides all possibilities of capturing JPG and/or RAW images and the Canon Software makes post processing easy and effective, I prefered the JPG format (because I am a little bit lazy) Last week I heard about the software Optics Pro 6. - see details on the website www.dxo.com. It is really worthwile to take a look at the details of Optics Pro 6. A semiprofessional photographer who uses it, told me about the main advantages, which are: Post processing RAW images and improving the quality compared with JPGs and convert the images to JPG.

I bought the program and did approx 100 test images in RAW and JPG. I am delighted.I only used the basic setting of the programm. The RAW images were converted to JEPG and the possibilities of post processing the program offers are most impressive. In the future a I will take my images in RAW and JPG and have converted the RAW images by Optics Pro 6

Re: Software Optics Pro 6 for Post processing Images

Indeed. I really like DxO. Some time back, I posted a comparison of DxO with DPP for RAW conversion. In particular, DxO handles noise reduction much better than DPP, and with a 7D that can be a big help.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Scheiner
    In the future a I will take my images in RAW and JPG and have converted the RAW images by Optics Pro 6

If you're like many of us, you started shooting JPG, then you'll shoot RAW+JPG for a while, living with shorter bursts vs. RAW only, using the JPG from the camera for most shots and processing the RAW images for selected shots only, and maybe just saving the JPGs and deleting the RAW files after processing. Then, eventually you'll find you want to go back and re-process some images, and not have the RAW files. Plus, you'll grow more and more to like and then need the processing flexibility that RAW provides. At that point, you'll switch to RAW only, and not look back.

Or, you could just rip off the band-aid and switch to RAW only, right now. []

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Or, you could just rip off the band-aid and switch to RAW only, right now. [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

This gets my vote.

What's this JPG thing you guys are talking about? []

Quote Originally Posted by NFLD Stephen

What's this JPG thing you guys are talking about?

JPG - a Chicago-based equity fund traded on the NYSE. Or am I missing something?

Or, you could just rip off the band-aid and switch to RAW only, right now.

The main reason not to is that you don't want to lose your jpg for quick previews, icons etc. But you can get that from RAWs. Go to Canon's site, and download the Canon RAW Codec for your OS. Explorer can now make icons, the picture viewer works for quick previews, the MS photostitcher (ICE) etc will now read your RAW files.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Just jumped in on the tail end of this. Thanks David for the link. I
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

I shot RAW from the begining but deleted RAW copies too save file space, I did that until I wanted too reprocess them and didn

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston
    download the Canon RAW Codec for your OS.

"Codecs? We don't need no stinkin' Codecs." [:P]

Mac OS X natively supports Canon RAW files, so previews, thumbnail icons, dialog boxes, etc., all show the images for .CR2 files.

Indeed. I really like DxO. Some time back, I posted a [url="/photography_tips_techniques1/f/13/t/5120.aspx?PageIndex=1]comparison of DxO with DPP[/url]for RAW conversion. In particular, DxO handles noise reduction much better than DPP, and with a 7D that can be a big help.

[quote=Roland Scheiner]In the future a I will take my images in RAW and JPG and have converted the RAW images by Optics Pro 6[/quote]

If you're like many of us, you started shooting JPG, then you'll shoot RAW+JPG for a while, living with shorter bursts vs. RAW only, using the JPG from the camera for most shots and processing the RAW images for selected shots only, and maybe just saving the JPGs and deleting the RAW files after processing. Then, eventually you'll find you want to go back and re-process some images, and not have the RAW files. Plus, you'll grow more and more to like and then need the processing flexibility that RAW provides. At that point, you'll switch to RAW only, and not look back.

Or, you could just rip off the band-aid and switch to RAW only, right now. [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Wow thatwas eerie.....[:|]

July 2010 (bought 7D) until reading a thread here on TDP in Nov/Dec 2010 I shot jpg only....since I have been shooting jpg + RAW usually mostly using the jpgs for my prints and posts but occasionally using the RAW to improve the photo (usually white balance or brightness)....for "ok" shots, sometimes going back and deleting the RAW....but, as I am getting tired of limited frame bursts and am beginning to figure out how to convert batches of RAW to my liking and to be able to see the improvement in the jpgs converted from RAW...literally in the last two weeks,I am really thinking of converting to shooting in RAW only.

Oh well, there goes the image of myself as an unpredictable, free thinking, independent maverick...............[:P][:O]