Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do photographers charge?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What do photographers charge?

I know before I even ask this question that there is no real answer. But at least it should spark a conversation that could be beneficial to those starting out. The question really is: What price do I put on my work, or How do I work out what to charge?

I recently took some picture of my local estate and presented them to the estate committee as a neat little package which included some enlargements, a Slide show CD, a calendar, and a little one page blurb and price list. I was hoping they would consider using my photos in there promotional material. The prices were according to copyright and the highest price was $450 for a DVD of aprox 40-50 high res photos. The copyright for this price gave them exclusive ownership of the images and the only rights I would retain would be reproduction for exhibition, competition or portfolio. I

Re: What do photographers charge?

Quote Originally Posted by William
    it's not really like other commodities. Or is it?

That was painful to read! Photography is NOT a commodity!!! Tosay that dimishes both your art and your price. Furthermore, it ultimately hurts the industry. Photography is all about product differentiation. Figure out what you want to shoot and do it either better or differently than your competition. In the world of commodities, the lowest price ALWAYS wins.

I know before I even ask this question that there is no real answer. But at least it should spark a conversation that could be beneficial to those starting out.

I agree....and I agree

It's probably the hardest aspect of starting your business. There are maybe one thousand variables you need to consider though. Here are a few:

- What is your competition doing?
    - Who is your customer base (low/middle/high end)?
    - How good are you compared to your competition?
    - What is your sales strategy (prints / digital negatives / etc)?
    - What do you NEED to make an hour to survive?

The % of pro's on this forum is fairly low and since everyone will answer the above questions differently you'll probably get more ideas than answers. That's fine though because no one can really tell you how you should price yourlself.

Good luck! You're not alone in your struggle :-)

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

That was painful to read! Photography is NOT a commodity!!! Tosay that dimishes both your art and your price. Furthermore, it ultimately hurts the industry. Photography is all about product differentiation. Figure out what you want to shoot and do it either better or differently than your competition. In the world of commodities, the lowest price ALWAYS wins.

Photography may become a commodity, unfortunately. I have an acquaintance who is a professional photographer (weddings, business functions, senior portraiture, etc.). One of the other photographers he knows, who used to employ 10 people on his staff, is now operating his business with just his wife. Business is down, which is due to the economy (large part), but this was something that they both said: with pro-sumer cameras on the market (they mentioned the 7D), the average photographer can now use cameras that perform excellently, and with experience, can cut into the business of established photographers.

Yes, creativity and differentiation help. But, for a senior who wants to forgo the $400-1000 expenditure for his senior portraits, he can find a friend that will do this for him, for a fraction of the cost, using his pro-sumer camera, and some photoshop skills. Outdoor shots seem more prevalent, and with a few thousand digital shots being taken, a few of them will likely satisfy the customer, at a fraction of the professional's prices.

Thus, little by little, the industry has increased competition, reducing it to a commodity-like business.

My acquaintance has to charge what he does, because he's got to make a living, and when he hears that "so-and-so will do it for this price," he loses that business to the guy who will undercut the price.

As equipment and software evolves, we're going to see more and more of this happening, regrettably.

So, charge on the high side, based on what other photographers charge, then you may be able to negotiate the final price. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan

As equipment and software evolves, we're going to see more and more of this happening, regrettably.

Not sure what is regrettable in the advancement in technology. It's like saying it is regrettable the mailmen are losing their jobs to emails so email is a bad thing.

Good focusing and exposure are very easy to come by nowadays so there's no commercial values in them anymore.

Reinforcing the way of yesterday is a sure fire way for anyone to go the way the dinosaurs did. You can even get medical advice online nowadays. The advancement in photographic technologies is a good thing as it thins out the herb for the real talented ones to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by darklord
    You can even get medical advice online nowadays.

Thank God, you can't get your prescriptions off of online medical advice in the US. Otherwise, I might not have a job. [H]
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Use this pricing structure and you will have work in no time.

[View:http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pho/2441819028.html:550:0]

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

That was painful to read! Photography is NOT a commodity!!! Tosay that diminishes both your art and your price. Furthermore, it ultimately hurts the industry. Photography is all about product differentiation. Figure out what you want to shoot and do it either better or differently than your competition. In the world of commodities, the lowest price ALWAYS wins.

Unfortunately Mark, I think by Webster's definition it can be considered a commodity :"a good or service whose wide availability typically leads to smaller profit margins and diminishes the importance of factors (as brand name) other than price"

I received a letter from one of the "official" photographers setting up a photo shoot for high school photo. It detailed out the different packages and poses, all very generic. It gave a specific price with discount. Every one that goes in and buys a package is going to get the exact same set up and photo. Art is subjective, and limited skill can produce good results with repetition. I wouldn't consider this type of set up an Art, nor is it a demonstration of skill.

I know I am thinking of my sons senior pictures as a commodity when I am looking over this studios price list.

Same goes with places like walmart or other generic studios. They hire people with limited skill and they take pictures.

If William wants to see what these guys charge it is very easy, most are published.

There are other ways photographers make money. I think William needs to be specific what type of photographer he wants to be. Wedding, architectural, portrait or???

When the product becomes, or is artful and/or of extremely high quality price gets more subjective and it is not a commodity. What the market will bear is truly what you can get and how much demand there is for you.

<div></div>
    <div class="sblk"]</div>

There are so many variables here that it

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    What do photographers charge?

We charge batteries -- they're little use when they're dead. We also charge payments to our charge cards, such as Visa.

How do you price your work?

Easy. The maximum price that they will pay. Some wont get out of bed for less than $100/hour (including post-production), others are happy as long as they gross $15/hr. Of course, finding any customer who is willing to pay anything can be hard.I see photographers on craigslist working for less than minimum wage. Some clients act like they're doing you a favor just to let you do their project for free.

Here is an older thread on the topic:

http://community.the-digital-picture.com/general_discussion1/f/24/t/1551.aspx

Good luck.

I hear what