Thread: Selling used stuff.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Selling used stuff.

Hey everyone,

I was thinking about upgrading my general purpose lens. I have been using the Tamron 28-75 2.8 for a while now and was going to take the plunge and move up to an L.

Anyone have any experience in selling your equipment to Adorama or BH?

I figure that they will probably purchase it for much less than I could get for it on Ebay or craigslist, but I also don't run the risk of someone conning me.

Thanks for your input! Also if someone on here decides that they are in the market for a tamron lens that is in pristine shape, gimme a holler and we can pow-wow about it.

Dave.

Any offer I have gotten from B&H was to low, like 50 cents on the dollar.

Recently I sold a lens and a camera.
    I had asked the local store I deal with what they would give and they only offered half what it was worth.
    I put it on Craigslist, and another store in town called and wanted to buy it. I was able to get 80 percent of new on the lens, and only slightly less than what a refurb costs on the camera. I would have never thought a camera store would offer so much.
    I would suggest calling the local camera shops first. Ask if there interested, if they don't want to buy it, maybe they would do a consignment.

If that fails then think about craigslist or ebay.

Good Luck

The risk to sellers is relatively low on eBay. It's the buyers that shoulder most of the risk.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Adorama was about fifty cents on the dollar. The only plus was it was a done deal if you accepted it. If not, they just mailed it back with no worries. Craigslist was the best option for me on that lens. I only had one try and cut the price in half. Just tell them upfront that the price is firm. $360 seems to be the going rate. FM is decent too so long as you know who is buying. I've not used them but others have.

Hey everyone!

Just letting y'all know. Sold my first lens on ebay and I actually let this Tamron 28-75 go for 365 shipped! Cant believe I made that much on a lens I have had for 2 years, but I guess its like they say. Take care of your glass and it wont lose much value over time!

Dave.

Congrats. I think Ebay must be the best place to sell, because the prices are pretty high from the buyer's point of view. Lenses sell for a LOT, and so do Harley Davidsons. Maybe because Ebay is like 99.9% buyers and only a comparatively few sellers.

So Ebay charged you a 9% commission/consignment fee, right?
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

9% can add up. When I got my 70-200 I did the 60d, printer/lens rebate and then sold the 60d, 18-55, 55-250 and filters on ebay. Got a reasonable price, etc from it but was annoyed at the 9%.

I am chasing myself in circles over whether or not to move to a 5dII or 5dIII or just hang out for awhile w/ my little 'ol 3ti. I am certainly not even close to figuring out the ins/outs of the 3ti and before I get into a gadget arms race....

If I go FF then I have to sell my 15-85 and 17-55 and would be thinking Craigslist, TDP, POTN, as the 9% doesn't apply. I am not a Craigslist expert but I think I can use my pay pal arrangement.

Just some thoughts - I am 6 months away from making a decision.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    9% can add up. When I got my 70-200 I did the 60d, printer/lens rebate and then sold the 60d, 18-55, 55-250 and filters on ebay. Got a reasonable price, etc from it but was annoyed at the 9%.

I am chasing myself in circles over whether or not to move to a 5dII or 5dIII or just hang out for awhile w/ my little 'ol 3ti. I am certainly not even close to figuring out the ins/outs of the 3ti and before I get into a gadget arms race....

If I go FF then I have to sell my 15-85 and 17-55 and would be thinking Craigslist, TDP, POTN, as the 9% doesn't apply. I am not a Craigslist expert but I think I can use my pay pal arrangement.

Just some thoughts - I am 6 months away from making a decision.
    Craigslist is actually better for sellers, because as a buyer it is frustrating to wait for the one thing you need to come up for sale. I waited months for my 70-200, then gave up and bought new. Now of course I will probably see 10 of them pop up for sale (ha).

What is "POTN"?

For me, I just can't see going FF. The only difference I would really experience would be the immediate need to go buy an insanely expensive long lens or two, just to make up the length I gave up by switching to FF. Or else I'd have to buy and start using a TC and waste all my nice f/2.8 aperature and IQ advantages on the 70-200 2.8.

I WOULD like to upgrade to the 7D some day, but I am not yet needing to do so. I want to see what they do at the next upgrade (7D2?). I figure the 7D (and its successors) have microfocus adjustment, magnesium frames, and weather sealing, plus more advanced AF. Other than a cupholder, I can't think of anything else I need!
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes