Thread: Need help for the mount of my flash

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need help for the mount of my flash

I have two 430EX II flashes and One 580 EX II flash and I want to use all of them to take some potraits, can some one suggest how to mount these flashes for a good potrait? I mean where can I get that kit?

There's quite a bit to that... First, do you have a way to trigger them all? Second, do you intend to use modifiers (I think you should). You can mount them all in the same umbrella/softbox with something like the Lastolite Triflash Bracket. You can also mount them separately, with separate modifiers. You'll need light stands, too.

The best place to start is this set of posts by our resident strobism expert, Sean Setters: http://community.the-digital-picture...ead.php?t=1627. There are three sections, and although the links at the top are broken, the links to the next section at the botom of the first and second posts work.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post

The best place to start is this set of posts by our resident strobism expert, Sean Setters: http://community.the-digital-picture...ead.php?t=1627. There are three sections, and although the links at the top are broken, the links to the next section at the botom of the first and second posts work.
    If Sean reads this, his tutorial/thread could use an update since we have switched servers. Some of the pics and links are now dead.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 12-11-2011 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    If Sean reads this, his tutorial/thread could use an update since we have switched servers. Some of the pics and links are now dead.
    It's unfortunate what the changeover did to those pages. I've bookmarked them and I'll get around to updating the pages eventually.

By the way, when it comes to a multiple flash mount, this is probably my new favorite: The Triple Threat Universal

This mount attaches directly to the umbrella shaft and allows you to position the flashes so that they strike the umbrella very evenly. It's a simple and elegant design, I believe.

Otherwise, a standard umbrella swivel will do for starters.

If the 580 is mounted on the camera, it can trigger the other two 430s.
    If you've got the foot-stand that came with them, they can screw onto any tripods you've got lying around, or even a gorillapod with its legs wrapped around the top of a chair (i do that too often). Or just sitting on a pile of books or something.
    That's the cheapest and most annoying option (definitely doesn't look very professional, depends if you know the model personally or if you're trying to start a real business).
    Better than that you can use proper lighting stands, with soft-boxes or umbrellas, either buy them or find somewhere around you that will hire them out (or find a new friend that happens to own some to lend you).
    For a really cheap-option softbox, I just got one of these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280787328442 - with my 430EX mounted on-camera it makes my shots look just that much better, and you can't go wrong for less than $5 shipped. (Yes, you can get professional ones, but this is definitely worth the money to experiment with). Haven't used it in an off-camera position yet, it's small enough that it probably wouldn't be the best more than a few meters from the subject.

As to where to mount them, that's where help from others comes in, but it depends on what effect you're going for. Presuming you've got the 580 on-camera, the basic setup would be to have that fairly low-power, the 430s to each side and maybe a bit higher-pointed-down (umbrellas help), one higher and one lower or the same power as the on-camera, or just both higher (the basic studio setup). Learning about flash-grouping and ratios is very useful.
    Or both on the same side and the 580 on trigger-only.
    Or both behind, one pointing forward to make a silouette, one backwards lighting the background.
    Or the 430s on the floor pointing up for those evil-eye shadows (if you really really want that effect).

Basically, just experiment for the effects that you might want. Having a very patient model definitely helps...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by gandhi View Post
    Any idea of this can be a good one?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lla_Mount.html
    Yes
    I have these supports with different umbrellas. I use them with the shoe mounts for my vivitar 285 and canon 580EX. I remove the shoe and use them with my sunpak 129J's. Take the shoe off and you have 1/4-20 mount for larger lights.
    Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    Yes
    I have these supports with different umbrellas. I use them with the shoe mounts for my vivitar 285 and canon 580EX. I remove the shoe and use them with my sunpak 129J's. Take the shoe off and you have 1/4-20 mount for larger lights.
    Mark
    Can you tell me where you got those umbrellas, I read in the reviews of B and H that the umbrellas are not that great, can you give me a place where I can get this stuff that is good

Quote Originally Posted by gandhi View Post
    Can you tell me where you got those umbrellas, I read in the reviews of B and H that the umbrellas are not that great, can you give me a place where I can get this stuff that is good
    I buy all mine from B&H. I have several umbrellas and soft boxes. I usually buy the lowest cost or maybe a small step up from lowest cost based on reviews. I have not had any trouble.
    Mark
    Mark