Thread: Is mirrorless cameras a replacement to DSLRs or just a hybrid of aim/shoot and DSLR?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is mirrorless cameras a replacement to DSLRs or just a hybrid of aim/shoot and DSLR?

I am looking lot of noise on this mirrorless cameras, could they really be a replacement to existing DSLRs. I am reading regarding some sony NEX models and it looks like the technology is still in budding stages and will take a long time before it can really replace DSLRs and it is just a hybrid between AIm and shoot and DSLRS, thats what my opinion . Can some one throw more light on this

Only time will tell. Nobody really took this technology serious at all until the NEX started making noise. It will be interesting to see where camera technology will go in the next 5 years. I can say one thing though, pro shooters, especially sports shooters I imagine will be holding onto traditional slrs for awhile.

What are your thoughts?
    Gripped 7D | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | 70-200 f/4L USM | 50mm f/1.8 mk1 | 80mm f/1.8 USM | 430EXII x2

Quote Originally Posted by rslhc View Post
    Only time will tell. Nobody really took this technology serious at all until the NEX started making noise. It will be interesting to see where camera technology will go in the next 5 years. I can say one thing though, pro shooters, especially sports shooters I imagine will be holding onto traditional slrs for awhile.

What are your thoughts?
    I think sports/wildlife pros would be the earliest adopters if the tech takes hold simply because mirror slap wouldn't obstruct the view finder during burst shooting. Take the 1dx's high speed for example. To achieve 14fps the mirror has to lock up.

Of course, there's no chance of pros adopting over their 1d bodies unless the system was a professional level mirrorless system to begin with.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    I think sports/wildlife pros would be the earliest adopters if the tech takes hold simply because mirror slap wouldn't obstruct the view finder during burst shooting. Take the 1dx's high speed for example. To achieve 14fps the mirror has to lock up.

Of course, there's no chance of pros adopting over their 1d bodies unless the system was a professional level mirrorless system to begin with.

Yes but the 1dx 14fps does not have AF or metering for those shots, something that is critical while shooting action. While 12fps normal is good, the 14fps is very limiting without AF.

The new mirror less seem to show promises of great fps speed, but they do not have the level of AF precision, especially for tracking, that sports shooters need. Then again, pros won't be shooting mirror less until it is all pro grade like you said.
    Gripped 7D | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | 70-200 f/4L USM | 50mm f/1.8 mk1 | 80mm f/1.8 USM | 430EXII x2

Quote Originally Posted by gandhi View Post
    could they really be a replacement to existing DSLRs.
    For many applications, yes. There will always be a segment that prefers an optical viewfinder, though of course they could make the camera mirror "optional" to please everyone.

I am reading regarding some sony NEX models and it looks like the technology is still in budding stages and will take a long time before it can really replace DSLRs
    The primary "forthcoming" technologies are better EVF and focal plane phase detect autofocus (I'll call it "FPPDAF"). The latter is already completed in the Nikon One -- all they have to do is get it working on larger sensors (if any significant rework is in fact required). The former (EVF) is going to take while.

and it is just a hybrid between AIm and shoot and DSLRS,
    It's much more than that. They will be capable of frame rates that DSLRs have never even heard of. Autofocus that is faster, more accurate, works in less light, covers more of the frame, and never out of collimation. Wide angle lenses that are faster, cheaper, *and* optically superior. The list goes on.

I can't wait for the mirror to die.

The mechanics of the DSLR we know today is a dinosaur that is left over from the film age. In a few years cameras will evolve in to something completely different in design. With the direction technology is moving at some point there will be even less if any mechanical moving components inside of the camera.

I just hope when the new technology evolves, it is not done in such a way that I have to replace all my glass. I think were safe for another ten years or so.

Currently, I think of the mirror-less interchangeable-lens cameras as a hybrid. They have advantages from both systems. As others have said, I think we'll see more of this tech over time. I personally like having an optical viewfinder, but I liked my very simple manual lenses with aperture rings too. I'm leery of things that require yet more battery power. It seems like one more think that could break, but of course mirrors wear out too.

I recently held a friend's NEX 5 and was impressed with the speed and IQ, but it wasn't comfortable to hold; my hand started to cramp right away. Ergonomics are just as important as any other factor to me.

I think having a small set of lenses and a nice sensor in a small body like that would be great for nature hikes, saving a lot of space and weight.

If Canon ever goes that route, I'm sure they will provide a way to use the EOS lenses. If not, I'll have to stock up on DSLR bodies and batteries.

Sounds like screen caps from a video camera is the direction things are heading.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.