Thread: 7D - RAW FILES (LARGE v MEDIUM)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

7D - RAW FILES (LARGE v MEDIUM)

Hi Team,

Just wondering if anyone has experimented or has any thoughts (I am sure you do!!!) in taking pics on the 7D with the MEDIUM SIZED RAW FILE FORMAT (10mp) as opposed to the stock standard 18mp LARGE RAW FILE FORMAT.

I dont plan on creating massive poster sized images so for better detail is it sometimes best to shoot with the M sized file.

As always - thanks a million.

Tony

Daniel is the man when talking about this stuff. From what I remember, Canon does a crappy job down-sizing and should prolly stick to the full-sized version if you want the potential that comes from RAW.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

I did some comparative testing between RAW and sRAW (which is exactly 1/2 the width and depth, 1/4 the area) a while ago.
    Don't have the results with me because i'm at work, but the RAW files, DPP processed and shrunk in the 'convert and save' dialogue, but otherwise exactly the same as the sRAW files, turned out *just* less noisy and *just* better detail. So my conclusion was that sRAW is for CF-card space-saving and/or continuous-buffer shooting purposes only, otherwise i'm sticking to RAW.

Didn't test against mRAW, but that's a task for in a few months' time when busy-ness level goes down a bit...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Just something to note with your question.

My Canon 7D has Medium RAW files that are typically 14Meg+ with the largest so far being 20Meg. The Large RAW files are 24Meg+, but I don't often use the Large format so I don't have a feel for the range.

Hope this helps
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss