Thread: Noise reduction software

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Noise reduction software

I do not use noise reduction software.

I would like to get some suggestions on what is the best out there, how effective is the CS5 noise reduction,
    and does anyone use it routinely? or just on problem shots, and how does it affect overall quality if used and not needed.

Thanks

From my tests lightroom = DXO and both are much better than DPP

I use Lightroom 4 (and LR 3 before). My standard preset, the one applied automatically upon import, has a bit of luminance and colour noise reduction.
    For shots at ISO 1600 and above (7D), I add manually more luminance noise reduction (what you might call problem shots). I find the results pretty amazing when playing with both noise reduc and sharpness. This is, of course, not when looked at 100% where you can definitely see the effects but either for Smugmug or reasonnable prints (A4 max - never tried bigger).

Cheers,
    S.

I use Topaz DeNoise: They have various plug-ins for Windows and Mac OSX; including Aperture, Lightroom, Photoshop, iPhoto and Adobe Elements.

http://www.topazlabs.com/denoise/

It's more powerful than what comes included with most photo editing software. I primarily use it on high ISO night shots at or "above" 3200 to 12,800. I find that the built in noise reduction programs generally work well for anything around 1600 or less.

Reducing the noise while maintaiing the detail is the key to any of these add-on programs, and don't overdo it.

Rich

P.S. They have a Trial Version!
    Last edited by Richard Lane; 06-29-2012 at 05:02 PM.

I too use Topaz Denoise, it works quite well. (Better than CS5 IMHO)

One trick is to use a very light setting as the very first step in your workflow and then use a heavier setting at the end, maybe just on the background or areas with no detail.

Another idea....You can also considering running a Gaussian blur or Surface Blur on a very light setting prior to noise reduction....this can really smooth things out nicely.