Thread: L Lens black rubber grips turning white

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

L Lens black rubber grips turning white

I've purchased my first L lens, a 70-200mm f/4L USM purchased used through eBay for 510.00 US. The lens is awesome, especially coming from a 18-55mm kit lens I got with the T2i. However, the rubber grips have turned a sort of gray color. I know this is purely cosmetic and doesn't effect the image quality but, I want to fix it. Is there something certain I should use on the rubber so I don't ruin the lens? Or, should I just leave it be?

The same thing happened to my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, and I just left it alone. It's not harming anything. Unless you're planning on selling it soon, is the discoloration really hurting anything? :-)

No, it's not =-D However, I'm a bit particular about any equipment I own (tools, electronics, vehicles, etc.) I guess I'm doomed with my damned OCD!

Welcome, and if you have OCD, or Obsessive Canon Disease then you're in the right place!

I'm not sure if this is a similar situation, but Canon just released a product advisory for the rubber grip on the new Rebel T4i, stating that in high temperatures and high humidity, the rubber grip could turn white due to a chemical reaction relating to Zinc Bis?

Is it possible that a similar reaction can occur in the rubber lens grip?

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e02480 5ba6ce

Could some cleaning product have accelerated a chemical reaction with the rubber?

Rich
    Last edited by Richard Lane; 07-09-2012 at 04:40 AM.

I haven't used any cleaning product on it thus far. I don't want to damage anything so I'm inquiring to what I should use. I'm willing to live with it, if there is the possibility of damaging it. I'm sure somewhere, someone has had this question too.

Troy

Did you read the NEWS section on this site for July 5

Thursday, July 05, 2012

Canon EOS Rebel T4i Product Advisory #2

The product advisory wouldn't apply to his lens's rubber grip. The fact of the matter is that this is a common occurance with a grip's usage over time. I'm not sure what the "proper" way to clean the rubber grip is, but a call to Canon's customer service might provide some insight on the matter.
    Last edited by Sean Setters; 07-09-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Back when I worked on cars we used a product from Wurth that was called "Rubber Care". It was designed for BMW to maintain the gaskets on their sunroofs due to leak problems when dried out. It maintains and cleans the rubber. We used it to clean plastics since it would remove white wax residue on them. I'm not sure if it would do the trick but, it came to mind.
    Brett

Thanks Brett, I may try that. I found this thread on another forum if anyone is interested.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...4&changemode=1

Thank you all for your comments, I will let you know how successful I am at appeasing my OCD "Obsessive Canon Disease" (I like that Rich)

Troy