Thread: 650D or wait for 60D successor?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

650D or wait for 60D successor?

Hi all,

I'm thinking of upgrading my 450D (Rebel XSi) to a more 'midrange' camera because I like that the grip/build quality is better than of the entry level camera's. At the moment I have a battery grip on my 450D because unfortunately, I have big hands for a girl. I got ahold of the 7D and loved that grip, but unfortunately that body is way out of my budget. Anyway, I was looking at the 60D, but I must say that at the moment I find the specs of the 650D/T4i a little more appealing. If I go for the 650D I might have to buy another battery grip so the total price would be closer to the 60D range..... What is your opinion on this? Should I wait for the successor of the 60D?

Thanks!
    Canon EOS 450D | BG-E5 | EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF-S 18-55mm IS | Speedlite 430EX II

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    the 60D never appealed to me that much over the newest rebels, but if the bigger camera feels a lot bettter in your hands that may make it worth it. Just another option...The 7D can be had refurbished for around $1100 and found used for a little bit less. So if your willing to consider getting something other than a brand new camera, that is the route I would go...it would be a huge upgrade for you and get that bigger better feeling camera too.

I keep looking at similar upgrade options. I have a 550D
    From what I've read
    I believe the build quality of the 60D is better than the 650D. There is some weather sealing in the 60D, I have not read of any in the 650D
    As for size the t4i looks to be very similar to your XSi where as the 60D is a bit larger.
    If you haven't already checked it out there is a visual comparison in the review
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ra-Review.aspx

The two are so similar in price and performance.... but I think I would still choose the 60D, over the t4i.
    And assuming there is a 60D successor I would choose that over the t4i...
    I speculate it will be more similar to current 7D, renewing the debate- new 60D or 7D...

There will always be a new camera model that will keep us wishing for the next, I'd look at what your Xsi isn't doing for you , that you feal the need to upgrade, and choose what best meets your needs.
    From you post i think the 60D- or ideally a 7D(as you mentioned) would better meet your requirements.

P.S. welcome to the digital picture forums
    Last edited by Kombi; 08-13-2012 at 05:50 PM. Reason: ps

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    I was looking at the 60D, but I must say that at the moment I find the specs of the 650D/T4i a little more appealing. If I go for the 650D I might have to buy another battery grip so the total price would be closer to the 60D range..... What is your opinion on this?
    Hi Liz, welcome!

What is it that you like better in the 650D than the 60D?

I had the same thing a few years ago. My hands where also too big for the 450D so I had a batterygrip with it. When I upgraded to the 50D at that time I didn't require a batterygrip anymore. Also the build was a lot better. This was one of the main reasons to upgrade.

What also a very "big" upgrade is(IMO) is that you will have an extra control wheel. This means you don't have to push a button before you can change your main settings for example. Having a second control wheel really speeds things up. I played with my sisters new 600D yesterday and the lack of the control wheel was pretty annoying for me. But it could be a personal thing.

If I would have to make your choice I'd pick the 60D for the bigger and better build. A second hand/refurbished 50D is also not that bad. However I don't know what you want to do with your camera. Do you take a lot of portrait orientated shots? Do you want to take full advantage of the video-function? Do you have little kids running around or take lots of action-shots? What do you plan to do mostly with the camera?

Hi all,
    Thanks for your welcome and thoughts!

@nvitalephotography: yes, I have been drooling over the 7D at our local camera shop. I love the build quality and most of all, the 19 AF points! But I am afraid a refurbished one is still too much money for me.

@Kombi: Yes, I know that there will always be a new camera as there are new Rebels coming out every year. I guess I will just have to jump when it feels right. I almost forgot that the price difference between the 650D and 60D is only 60 euro (Netherlands), so in total it would be more than the 60D. Do you know if and when a new camera is coming out?

@Sheiky: Portrait/landscape orientation ratio is about the same and I must say that I really love the battery grip on the 450D, but I think I could manage to live without if camera's grip feels good. At this moment, my pinky is just below the bottom of the camera and my index finger is a little bit cramped.
    I usually like to shoot nice pictures during holiday, nature and portrait photography and sometimes family shots with a kid once in a while. Video function is nice and could come in handy, but for me certainly not the main reason I'd buy an DSLR

The main reason I like the 60D is grip size/build quality, but I like the specs of the 650D (DIGIC 5, image quality at high ISO). I don't really care much about the touchscreen. It's nice but no requirement for me. Was size the only reason for you to upgrade to the 50D? Are you happy with the decision? Do you miss your battery grip?
    Canon EOS 450D | BG-E5 | EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF-S 18-55mm IS | Speedlite 430EX II

The 650D is a nice update for the Rebel line and erases some of the 60D advantages (9 point cross-type AF, 5 FPS sped), but it only exceeds the 60D with the silent video AF feature and DIGIC5 processor (although I haven't seen any comparisons of the latter that indicate that the 650D might be faster). The touch screen seems a little gimmicky to me and could be an improvement if it is done really well.

But overall I think the 60D retains most of the advantages that makes it superior to the Rebel line, which is the camera body itself, not the electronic guts which have always been pretty close in capability. The ergonomic advantage of the rear command dial and top LCD are great. Additionally:

• Size: The 60D fits my large hands better. By comparison the Rebels feel like small, cheap plastic toys.
    • 60D's pentaprism viewfinder is larger and much brighter than the Rebel's pentamirrors
    • 60D's maximum 1/8000 shutter speed
    • Weather/sand protection: the 60D is hardly weatherproof but its construction is far more robust and it uses more gaskets and seals than the Rebel

On paper the 60D has never compared well to the top Rebels. You have to handle the two cameras to appreciate how much better the 60D really is. Having AF video, the only new Rebel feature that much interests me, is not enough to make me want to downgrade. If you don't think the 60D is worth the extra ~$100, I'd advise you to wait for the next generation XXD.

One more thing, I always used battery grips with my Rebels because the small body size didn't fit my hands. Strictly speaking I could probably get away without a BG with my 60D, but I so love having a vertical grip that I use a BG with my 60D as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    @Sheiky: Portrait/landscape orientation ratio is about the same and I must say that I really love the battery grip on the 450D, but I think I could manage to live without if camera's grip feels good. At this moment, my pinky is just below the bottom of the camera and my index finger is a little bit cramped.
    I usually like to shoot nice pictures during holiday, nature and portrait photography and sometimes family shots with a kid once in a while. Video function is nice and could come in handy, but for me certainly not the main reason I'd buy an DSLR

The main reason I like the 60D is grip size/build quality, but I like the specs of the 650D (DIGIC 5, image quality at high ISO). I don't really care much about the touchscreen. It's nice but no requirement for me. Was size the only reason for you to upgrade to the 50D? Are you happy with the decision? Do you miss your battery grip?
    As for the past upgrade. (I now use a 5D) I upgraded because I shot a different kind of sport every weekend. I could really use the faster speed of the camera as well as the larger body. I was very happy with the decision, but the type of photography that I did kind of required it.
    I sometimes miss the battery-grip. There are times(for example figure skating) where I do 80% in portrait orientation for long periods at a time. At those times I wish I still had a battery grip. However the normal grip is normally good enough for me.
    Also the weather-sealing was a great benefit to counter rain and dust/mud. In your case you wouldn't really "need" the 60D for those reasons so it doesn't make a lot of difference. Perhaps some of the other reasons that have been mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Dog View Post
    Weather/sand protection: the 60D is hardly weatherproof but its construction is far more robust and it uses more gaskets and seals than the Rebel
    I have done some crazy things with my 50D and 5D, lots of rain, mud and dust. Never had any problem. Better yet I never cleaned the sensor of the 5D in 3 years now? Still no spec of dust. The combination with a weathersealed lens is good enough for me and I think I do riskier stuff than the average photographer.

Looking at all the rebates, etc, etc, I suspect something is in the works. The old adage that the best time to be electronics is "next month" is most likely true.

The t4i/650 is a really big upgrade from the 450, a 60d w/ Magic Lantern is a really powerful package. How often would you be fiddling w/ the extremes of either cameras capabilities?

Given your answers - my bet is on the 60d.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I have the 60D and am very happy with it for the price, I would rather have the 60D without the grip than a rebel with a grip. The 60D has a deeper and more robust grip than a vertical grip on a rebel has. The top LCD is very usefull, more usefull than I originally thought, bigger view finder, the weather sealling is very effective from my experience, faster responce time, ect. In my mind if you want it for the better build and grip you will be getting plenty of other extras upgrading to the 60D as well. Plus I think the AF will be a bit better.

Just my two cents,
    John.
    Last edited by FastGass; 08-24-2012 at 02:51 AM.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!