Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On camera flash diffuser

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

On camera flash diffuser

Not speaking like a true strobist I have times I must have an on camera flash

weddings, weddings, and weddings.

Does anyone want to speak to their preference on

Sto Fen

Gary Fong

Other

Im speaking about medium range indoor photography that does not have the luxury for additional set up.
    15-20 feet usually ETTL with a fixed aperture

I've been using the Gary Fong for years but thinking of changing back.
    Like to hear some other experiences.
    Last edited by iND; 08-28-2012 at 12:35 AM.

Not a strobist, not a wedding photographer.
    I used the Sto Fen for a while.
    Then about 9 months ago I bought a Gary Fong LightSphere. I think the LightSphere does a much better job.
    Why are you thinking of changing back?

Mainly the reason to change is the bulk on top of the flash.
    I have an older version and it is known to fall off.

I could see how it would eventually wear out, especially the way it mounts.
    The bulk and size is a negative, but then the added diffusion surface is probably why it performs better than the Sto Fens.

I use StoFens on my flashes, but I pretty much always bounce off a white ceiling. If shooting an event where that wasn't feasible (dark or high ceilings), I think the Gary Fong would be better.

This certainly won't reduce your bulk, but it's what I use. It's got a large enough surface to diffuse the light really well for an on-camera setup. Obviously it's never going to be as good as a 90cm x 60cm softbox but I've used it attached to my speedlite on camera for a number of weddings and events and it does a great job. Not only does it diffuse the light, it spreads it quite significantly so you don't get as harsh shadows.

http://www.speedlightprokit.com/products/kits/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prokit.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	1357
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

For on camera flash, I have a few things that I use. The sto-fen is great as Neuro pointed out and I also use the Lumiquest Pocket Bouncer to bounce the flash off of the white background when a white ceiling isn't available, plus it came with a silver metallic and gold metallic inserts. I find the gold too strong though most of the time.

I also have a generic cloth softbox to attach to the speedlight when on-camera. I like the even lighting it produces and it comes in a small pouch to easily carry in the pocket of my camera bag.

I took this shot using it this morning ...

Porcelain Doll by Denise Trocio ( www.dtrociophotography.com), on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    For on camera flash, I have a few things that I use. The sto-fen is great as Neuro pointed out and I also use the Lumiquest Pocket Bouncer to bounce the flash off of the white background when a white ceiling isn't available, plus it came with a silver metallic and gold metallic inserts. I find the gold too strong though most of the time.

I also have a generic cloth softbox to attach to the speedlight when on-camera. I like the even lighting it produces and it comes in a small pouch to easily carry in the pocket of my camera bag.
    Nice doll. The light from this modifier looks good. With many light modifiers like softboxes for on camera they often block the auto focus assist beam.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    Nice doll. The light from this modifier looks good. With many light modifiers like softboxes for on camera they often block the auto focus assist beam.
    Thanks, Mark. I did use my on-camera softbox tonight to test if it would cause any problems with blockiing the AF Assist Beam. After numerous shots, taking it off & putting it back on, different positions etc. it didn't cause any problems with blocking the beam.

I purchased the lumiquest promax a little while back for a wedding after reading "The Hotshoe Diaries". It worked pretty well. I use it mainly now for macro stuff. With the softbox thingy on the front and it does a pretty good job with softness. Using the card inside directs the light really well, but sometimes is pretty harsh, almost like bare flash, if you don't have the little softbox thing on the front.

My trick to making it softer is to put the stofen inside of this contraption and then shoot away. Light loss is there, but you can compensate for it.

If you went this route, you could probably buy this and make the front diffusion panel. They didn't have this when I purchased the above or I would have went this way.
    Last edited by Jayson; 08-28-2012 at 07:27 PM.