Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photography in the rain

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Photography in the rain

First off, I shoot for my high school paper and yearbook. I've been at it for two years now and I'm the photo editor for both the paper and yearbook. So I have only a small amount of experience, and very minimal gear.

That said, I was out in the rain for 3 hours this afternoon shooting a track meet in the rain and I was wondering what weather sealing techniques others use to keep their equipment dry (outside weather sealed 1DIII's and a 70-200 IS or a 400 f/2.8). I basically wrapped my XSi and 75-300mm in fairly heavy plastic and tape (which worked wonderfully at keeping everything dry) but was a major bother and softened the image through the view finder so much that I couldn't tell if anything was in focus and had a hard time telling people apart.

Anyone have any good solutions for wet weather photography that don't break the bank and are fairly simple and easy to use and reuse? Does such a thing even exist?

Thanks

Re: Photography in the rain

I've never tried it on a camera, but if you stretch saran wrap pretty tight, it's fairly transparent. Worked great on a toilet....

I'd suggest having a friend/assistant follow you around with a really large umbrella.

Haven't tried any of these, but check out [View:http://www.lensrentals.com/category/...ies/for-canon] Lens Rental's camera page for the OpTech Weather Guard and the Camera Muzzle. At least it's some ideas.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Did you put he plastic in front of the lens element? If so I would suggest the plastic wrap idea, and use a lens hood to keep drops off of the lens glass, instead of putting it over the front and trying to shoot through it.

thanks

joel

I tried to make my own rainsleeve using walmart bags and scotch tape. Dont do that.

However I believe my local Ritz store had actual rainsleeves for awhile. I couldn't find a link to the sleeves on their page, but they were less than $10. You could always try there.

Optech Rainsleeves are an affordable option. Amazon has them for something like $6 for a pack of two. They won't last forever, but are good for occasional use. Also, to protect the front lens element, nothing's going to beat a hood. And I'd rather wipe water droplets off a UV filter than the lens element (not to mention mud or other nasty stuff that can splatter in inclement weather.

I'd show a picture of what I did, but my camera was inside it...

I basically cut a large peice out of a thick plastic bag (much heavier than any supermarket bag) and covered everything but the UV filter in front.

Like I said, it worked great, but it took like an hour to get it all taped on well, and it was a bother in general...

The rainsleeves look like the best answer.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/583456-REG/Op_Tech_USA_9001142_RAINSLEEVE_FLASH_Pack_of.html

I keep a shower cap stuffed in my bag. Its disposable, clear and very thin. I got it from hotel room. Works ok for the camera body for light rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Gilley

The rainsleeves look like the best answer.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/583456-REG/Op_Tech_USA_9001142_RAINSLEEVE_FLASH_Pack_of.html

I keep a shower cap stuffed in my bag. Its disposable, clear and very thin. I got it from hotel room. Works ok for the camera body for light rain.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

exactly what i was looking for, thanks!

I've been in a similar position. The secret is to be underneath the rain cover yourself. I would start with a large trash bag, a rubber band, and a lens hood if you have one. Cut a small hole in the bag for the lens, put the lens (with the hood on) through the hole, and rubber band the bag around the outside of the hood. The hood will keep rain off the lens element, and give the rubber band something to squeeze other than the lens. Finally, you can fit your head and shoulders underneath the bag. You will now be able to see through the lens without any trouble, and you'll stay dry-ish too!