Thread: New use for your L bracket?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New use for your L bracket?

I have been using a monopod in my wildlife blind to support a 600mm f4 + 5DMK III w the battery pack. I found it very helpful to use the Wimberley sidekick in order to balance this heavy combo and noiselessly move the lens in and out of openings in the blind - a monopod alone was just too rigid. However, I was using a RRS monopod head to accomplish mounting the sidekick and it has an allen screw that constantly worked loose and created a wobble. It finally occurred to me that my L-plate was a solution. I could remove the L-plate from the camera, screw the 1/4 inch monopod screw into the bottom of the L-plate, attach a RRS sliding clamp on the right angle of the L-plate, slide the sidekick in and tighten down. This creates a rigid connection b/t the monopod and the sidekick mount. Since you don't need horizontal rotation w a monopod, this seems a weight economical solution. My only small worry is the 1/4 inch screw connection - I'd prefer a more robust attachment for this weight outfit, but I think this will be OK. I'll post a photo of the set-up if there is interest and this isn't clear. Here's a shot from my blind w original set-up (600mm II, 5DMKIII, 1/125, f4, ISO2500).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	201A4732_lowres.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	1587

Which RRS head do you have? I think I see what you're talking about, although I've just been putting the 600/4 straight on the RRS MH-02 Pro with good results.

I have the RRS MH-01 Hi-Capacity Monopod Head with B2-Pro II clamp. I have used it alone with the 600, but find that the sidekick gives me better control and I can sit in the blind with only a little tension on it and not worry about lens flop. It is especially handy when I need to shoot up into the canopy for birdies b/c of balance. I think the MH-01 only developed the wobble b/c of being rotated to 90 degrees and locked w all the weight on it. If you are happy w just the monopod head and the 600, you already have a simple solution. (I'm also tall and like the extra height of the sidekick on a monopod.) I'll post a photo of the set-up if you are interested. Cheers

Thanks for the offer! I don't have a Sidekick, though. Still, I'd like to see the setup.

Actually, I've got the RRS side mount gimbal, which can go directly on the monopod platform, if needed. But I generally use a tripod if ill be in one place for a fair bit of time. The monopod goes on the belt for hiking (lens on a lefty BR strap), and I use the monopod for short stops only.

I'll provide a photo this w/e - on the road now. I wish I could use a tripod in the blind, but it is too cramped to quietly move a tripod from one of the openings to another and the deer/foxes etc... are far too alert for noise and tend to appear from any direction. The monopod works well for this but takes a little more effort to sit with for 3-4 hours. I have the RRS full gimbal and really love it when I have the right application.

Here are a few pics of the setupClick image for larger version. 

Name:	201A6679lowres.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	1589Click image for larger version. 

Name:	201A6680lowres.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	1590Click image for larger version. 

Name:	201A6682lowres.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	166.1 KB 
ID:	1591

I used this today and it felt very solid - better than with the MH-01 as the connection b/t the monopod and the sidekick. I like the extra height and clearance too. I'd feel a littler better about it if the L-bracket had a 3/8" threaded attachement point so the whole thing didn't rest on the relatively short 1/4" screw on the Gitzo monopod.

Nice!

What about putting a clamp (e.g. RRS B2 LR II) on the monopod platform for your 3/8" attachment, then clamp in the L-bracket?

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Nice!

What about putting a clamp (e.g. RRS B2 LR II) on the monopod platform for your 3/8" attachment, then clamp in the L-bracket?
    good idea - I'll dig through my RRS stuff and see if I already have a clamp that will accept the 3/8" post.