Thread: Camera Showdown

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Camera Showdown

I found this site tonight and have run through various camera pairings. I have found I can easily choose the full frame camera photos over the crop body photos, though choosing the best full frame is more challenging.

http://camerashowdown.com/

I don't think there is any useful information to gleam from this site. The site shows the viewer two pictures taken with two different cameras and asks the viewer to pick which one he (or she) likes best. There are simply too many variables left unknown, uncontrolled, or completely ignored - lens, focal length, lighting, and most of all - photographer skill.

Is there supposed to be useful information on the site? I thought it was just entertaining similar to many sites you find on the internet. I heard of one site that makes its money off of rumors and gossip about cameras, how useful is that?

Also, back to the OP's comment about the crop pictures they seemed to be fairly easy to pick out if that were the point of the show down. But in many cases the crop bodies picture is better IMO than the FF's offering. In many of the pictures it is simply composition and skill level that make the picture better.

I had fun with it. I ran through 5DIII vs 7D once and 5DIII vs D600 twice. Preferred the 5DIII 7 to 3 over the 7D and 6 to 4 over the D600 both times.

But I was also trying to look at the technical aspects of the photo controlled by the camera/sensor. Things like noise, aliasing, color (although I think several photos were altered in post), etc. For example, there was a architectural photo comparison between the 5DIII and D600, the D600 photo was far more interesting but had aliasing on the stairs. So, my winner was the 5DIII photo even though the subject/light was less interesting.

Otherwise, I thought I could see some of the expected differences; D600 had more detail in the shadows, but also the "nikon green" in a lot of shots. I didn't so much notice the "canon" red as I actually was wrong on a few that I thought were canon due to the red tones.