Thread: New Nikon 80-400 vs Canon 100-400L

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Nikon 80-400 vs Canon 100-400L

I know we aren't supposed to compare images taken on different bodies, but, doing so anyway, it looks like the Nikon is better at shorter focal lengths, but the Canon is killing the new Nikon at 400 mm. At least to my eye, they are pretty even between 200 mm and 300 mm, with maybe a slight edge to the Nikon

While I see the new Nikon as much better from 80-135 mm and roughly even 200-300 mm, greater than 95+% percent of my shots are at 400 mm, so I'd still pick the Canon. Granted, I really hope that Canon updates the 100-400L.

I haven't used that comparison tool much, but to my eye the 400mm Nikon D3x looks like my 60D at 400mm. I didn't think much of it until I read your post. I had not realized that the D3x is a FF camera. Not a great showing for Nikon's latest.

I will say I envy the general detail given by FF cameras, especially at longer zoom focal lengths.

GMW....first post...welcome to the forum!

You are right, the Nikon D3x was (is? it is $1-2k more than the D4) Nikon's top of the line FF camera. It's 24.5 MP is actually greater than the 1Ds III's 21.1 MP. So it even has a slight resolution advantage.

I just find the lens comparison interesting after reading so much about Sony/Nikon's sensors. I am not trying to take anything away from Nikon, but what you put in front of the sensor matters too.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 11-06-2013 at 10:39 PM.