Thread: Which Camera/Lens combination would you choose and why??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Which Camera/Lens combination would you choose and why??

For best overall quality and used primarily for general purpose and landscape.

I don't have any more camera budget, and I'm actually hoping to get money back from selling gear. I also have the 50 1.8 that I won't sell, so please keep that in mind if suggesting other options. Returning the t4i and 18-135 would let me gain back $550.

Camera:
    30D bought new in 2008
    refurbished t4i bought to replace 30D

Lens:
    17-40L bought new in 2008
    refurb 18-135 STM with refurb t4i
    or selling both and purchasing 15-85 (likely used/refurb)
    other options in the same price range?

So what would you choose to do?

I agree with the 15-85. Excellent APS-C lens that's lightweight, sharp, and has a nice maximum magnification for its class with the macro range of its focus. The 17-55 is a superior lens, though, but only if you can afford it. The cheapest I've ever seen it is still a couple hundred dollars more than a new 15-85. Refurb deals on the 15-85 drop it even further.

I have not used the 18-135 STM, but the previous 18-135 was disappointing. I got one with my 60D and really never used it. I was about to get rid of it and get an 18-55 kit, but decided to save my sestertii for a 15-85. Glad I did as it is much better than both.

I agree that the 15-85 would be a very good one lens solution. A few other thoughts to consider.

The 17-40 has a bit of weather resistance, the t4i does not. This may or may not matter to you. I live in a wet climate and my gear is often exposed to the elements. A 50d or 60d would give you a bit of sealing. Prices on the 60d have been great lately.

Memory. CF for the 30d ad 50d, SD for the Rebels, 60d, 70d, 6d. How much CF memory do you already own? What is the cost of switching?

Would you like to have a bit more reach? The new 55-250 STM seems like a decent performer for not much money. T4i, 17-40, 55-250 would be a solid kit.

Thanks for the replies so far

jrw: I know the features in the T4i are lacking compared to the 30D, it's a compromise to get a more updated sensor and processor, also the increased resolution is nice. I don't think the 30D is worth much, maybe $100 at most. If I sell the 18-135 STM for $200, which should be easy, the T4i will have only cost me $350, which is a lot of camera for that price. Moving to a 50D or higher would be best, but it's out of my price range. My budget for camera gear just isn't very high as it's not my main hobby. What I like about the 17-40 is the build quality, focus speed and accuracy, and the fact that I have two quality filters already.

GmwDarkroom: I will check out the refurb 15-85, they were sold out last I looked. I agree though it's a great price!

PatrickH: I bought a new SD card (32GB for $20) and if I end up not using my wife will get it for her point and shoot. I have 18GB of CF cards. So I don't have a huge amount in either, so that's not a deciding factor. I'll check out the 55-250 STM.

I guess at this point I'm pretty sure I'll keep the T4i and sell the 30D, I'm just split on the lens options. So hard!!

Hi Tim,

The 17-40 is a good lens. But you are looking for another. What do you find lacking? Is it focal lengths >40 mm? Is it focal lengths <40 mm? Is it a faster aperture at something other than 50 mm?

If you want a "do it all" general purpose lens for a cropped sensor camera, the 15-85 is a great choice. I enjoyed it for years on my Canon 7D. If you want a little more length, the already mentioned EFS 55-250 STM is getting good reviews optically. There are a lot of choices, but for what you've described so far, the EFS 15-85 is likely one of the best choices.

Good luck,
    Brant