Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon Professional Services (CPS)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canon Professional Services (CPS)

I am thinking about joining CPS. I was wondering if anyone else were members and what you thought about the service. Especially if you thought it was worth it to get the Platinum membership instead of the Gold. I just added up my equipment and I have 55 points in my kit that I plan to keep and another 15 points in equipment I plan to sell (7D, EFS 15-85, and 580 EX II).

Thanks,
    Brant
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 02-14-2014 at 01:22 PM.

I dropped my 16-35mm on the ground, it saved me money when they fixed it.
    That is the only advantage of being a CPS member.

Platinum was $500 now it is $300 vs Gold for $100. It looks like the repair savings decreased from past years, you only gain 10% more repair discount for the Platinum. The straps they give you are cool but an additional $200 for one strap and lens caps isn't worth it IMO.

IMO joining CPS is like buying repair insurance. It will take a bit less than $500 repair to pay for the Gold. (I say less because they pay the return shipping)

It would take you a $2000 repair to make the extra 10% discount pay for itself with platinum.
    If you had more gear it might be worth while Brant, but I do not think you or I have enough gear to make it worth while.

In the last five years I have had one lens repaired, I only paid for the service two years. For me it ended up a break even deal.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 02-14-2014 at 01:59 PM.

I've considered it. I think the main benefit is likely the repair discount and faster turnaround, and if I have a camera/lens that needs repairing, I'll strongly consider signing up for CPS first.

I don't see a lot of benefit in the Platinum level over the Gold, personally. The extra 10% repair discount and free inbound shipping would still require multiple items to be serviced to cover the $200 difference in cost.

There is some value in the free clean and check for bodies, in that they clean the mirror and focus screen in addition to the sensor. There's almost no value in sending a lens in for a clean and check, as they only clean the exposed elements. When I was at the Canon service center in NJ for my 1D X to have the lubrication fix applied (which they did in less than an hour, while I waited, along with a free clean), one of the reps told a customer that the clean and check for lenses was not really useful. So, the 10 of them with Platinum vs. the 5 with Gold would not be that useful unless you had a whole bunch of eligible bodies. Also, you need to figure the cost of shipping - and shipping insurance - into the 'free' clean and check (the CPS free shipping applies to service, but AFAIK not to clean/check). Given that, it may be cheaper to take the camera to a local shop to be cleaned unless you live close to a service center (or travel close to one fairly frequently, which I actually do).

I just noticed they added a 'Cinema' level. Nice.

FWIW, I have 144 points.

Thanks guys. I may try Gold for a year. I was thinking of sending the EFS 15-85 and 7D in to be evaluated and cleaned before selling them.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I just noticed they added a 'Cinema' level. Nice.

FWIW, I have 144 points.
    ......at $1,000 per year...... Safe to say, I am not that market....

BTW, is there any bonus for breaking 100 pts? A calculator mouse autographed by Chuck Westfall perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post

BTW, is there any bonus for breaking 100 pts? A calculator mouse autographed by Chuck Westfall perhaps?
    Additional exercise when you are carrying all your gear around.
    Sometimes an inflated ego for owning all the expensive gear.
    It gives you an additional hobby beyond normal photography, which mainly centers on trying to figure out how to store and carry your gear.
    It helps keep you from buying more dangerous things like motorcycles.

There may be a few more bonuses, I would have to think a bit. I am at 128 points myself.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 02-14-2014 at 03:19 PM.

I've been a gold level member for years but I've never taken advantage of the service. For me it's sort of like insurance in case something breaks. Canon ships Fedex and requires an in-person signature, so that kills any dealing with them for me for any non-critical stuff. If I really wanted to borrow a 1Dx or a 500mm lens, I guess I could burn a vacation day and stay home waiting for Fedex.
    Mark - Flickr

How many of you actually meet the "51% of income from photography" requirement and/or the full-time work requirement? Obviously some of you do, but how many are ignoring that part of the process? I'm purposefully a hobbyist photographer, and way too honest, so I just stare at CPS and wish I could get some of those benefits.

Where does it say 51%?

This is from CPS's FAQ

"Membership is available only to those individuals (self-employed or employed by a professional imaging business), who play a direct role in the creation of moving or still images for third parties on a full-time basis and are legal residents of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia."

The description changed, it was worded differently a few years ago. It was a bit less descriptive and more open.

Huh....it was a Canon rep that suggested I join. I did mentioned I was just a hobbyist, but they were more concerned that I had enough gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Huh....it was a Canon rep that suggested I join. I did mentioned I was just a hobbyist, but they were more concerned that I had enough gear.
    I've had a Canon Repair rep suggest that I join...when I said I don't meet the 51% requirement, they said "oh yep, that's a problem". *shrug* I do see that the wording was changed...almost worse for me. With 51%, I could make a killing ("could" being the operative word) at photography and keep my full-time job in Internet networking while qualifying for CPS. Now I'd have to have two full-time jobs to qualify, and that ain't happening.