Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mirrorless

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mirrorless

What is Canon's current thinking in the mirrorless market.
    My thought is a camera or system to complement my 5DIII system as a
    smaller nonintrusive journalistic tool.

Thanks

I just saw an article that indicated that they might be bringing the M-2 to the U.S. after first declining to do so.

I was just at the local best bugs and saw the sony a-7. it is really small.

With dual pixel perhaps speeding up autofocus, perhaps the day of the mirror are numbered.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I think the biggest impediment is that the quality of EVFs isn't yet where it needs to be, to supplant the OVF.

Kayaker, Sean, and Others

How much post processing did you do on those photos.
    Are you shooting in RAW
    Did you consider or research any other mirrorless products?
    What lenses have you used with the M.
    Have you used a pancake style to keep the profile small?(part of the purpose of going mirrorless)
    Sean you state you use the 22mm, how is the IQ and how is the AF speed. Are you getting 0.5-1 sec that Kayaker reports?
    Do you find that AF speed limiting?
    Last edited by iND; 03-03-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iND View Post
    Sean you state you use the 22mm, how is the IQ and how is the AF speed. Are you getting 0.5-1 sec that Kayaker reports?
    Do you find that AF speed limiting?
    I have a third party EF-M to EF adapter (which works just fine), but I typically only use the 22mm STM (and the 90EX flash every so often). Image quality using the 22mm lens is quite good. I couldn't tell you how fast the AF is exactly, but it's more than fast enough for my purposes. The firmware update where Canon increased the AF speed helped tremendously, from what I hear (but mine came with the new firmware pre-installed). And no, I don't find the AF limiting.

I shoot RAW, DxO has profiles for the EF-M lenses. I shoot mainly with the 22mm f/2 pancake. A big part of my reason for getting the EOS M was for use as a backup camera for travel.

So now I am member of the "M" club. Bit on the $250 w/ 22 f2.0 special.

Was able to play a little today and suffice to say quite impressed. Focus is fast enough for tourist pics, etc, certainly not a sports camera (Duh). The 22/f2 is a very nice lens.

I played w/ the Tamzooka (you know I had to), the Sigma 50 A (actually pretty easy just to hold the lens and drive lightly w/ the right hand) and the 22mm

Really a ton of imaging quality for what amounts to $120 for the body. Also runs Magic Lantern so I think this is going to be my timelapse camera.

Link to the test pics on flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/77760916@N05/
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 09-13-2014 at 11:38 PM.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Whilst the M has is big faults and annoyances, the great plus is being able to slap any EF lens on it with the adaptor and it works

Although... I look at the Fuji range of amazing fast lenses and kick myself sometimes ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn1971 View Post
    Whilst the M has is big faults and annoyances, the great plus is being able to slap any EF lens on it with the adaptor and it works

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn1971 View Post
    Although... I look at the Fuji range of amazing fast lenses and kick myself sometimes ;-)
    At this point, it depends on your intent. If you want a mirrorless *system*, Canon isn't the best choice (at least for now - that will change if they continue to develop the line, but they're really just entering the market).

But, if you want a small camera for occasional use that *integrates* with the system you currently use (assuming that's Canon), then the EOS M is a great choice. A large sensor in a small body (very compact with the 22/2 pancake), functions as a very portable backup body, great for occasional use.