So all of a sudden I realized I actually had money
    (as apposed to $200 a week or two ago) and the kingston 16gb deal on
    the homepage here seems pretty nice. Has anyone used these? I'm
    wondering about life/quality/speed

~Thanks guys.

7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

Re: Memory Card Choice

Hey twistedphrame

I checked out some reviews at B & H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o.html#reviews), and found some very positive reviews, and some negative reviews. The price is great, but a lot of people finding the slow write speed a nuisance.

What camera are you using? You may very fine with these cards if your shooting is not very demanding. If you're using a 5D Mark II, 1D Mark II/III, or any other high MP or fast camera, I would suggest - and they are not a bargain (for the most part) - the Sandisk Extreme cards.

I have nothing but good to say about them. They are very reliable, and the cards read and write very fast. I also tend to sometimes do stupid things with the cards - leave them in a pocket, drop them on the ground - the list goes on. But these cards have held up to the "abuse". Also consider the Lexar Professional 300x cards - I hear they're good, too.

Remember - (And I might sound very naive) You don't want a card to fail on you at the worst possible moment - And if it does fail, it will. I would suggest investing some money in fast and reliable cards if you are doing some serious shooting.

- Alex

One thing to remember as you look at any memory card is: At some point they will fail you. My personal preference is to use smaller GB cards and more of them. If one fails or gets misplaced then I did not loose my whole shoot. I do onsite backup with a portable hard drive also.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by iND

One thing to remember as you look at any memory card is: At some point they will fail you.

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Perhaps.

But, as a point of reference, my cousin shoots professionally (all 1DMk3 machines, plus a 5DMk2), shooting an average of 5000 shots for each wedding, plus thousands more for other shoots, for an average of 20000 shots a month, and not one of his Sandisk cards have failed yet. Some of these cards are older than 5 years (he would buy high capacity cards the moment they came out, so he paid big bucks for the larger ones).

He dropped one into a bucket of water once (only a 4Gb), but after he dried it out for a few days, all the images were still on the card, and it still worked after that (though, he didn't chance it for important stuff).

I have an Xti so it's speed isn't a gigantic problem, I have 2 2gb lexar 133x at the moment but I normally shoot raw so I wanted to get a little more space for when I'm traveling around this summer. I get what your saying with the several smaller cards, but I'm not sure I have the money to spend on multiple cards (I can fill up both of my current ones walking around town).
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II