Thread: RF remote trigger for canon flash 580EX II

RF remote trigger for canon flash 580EX II

I am wanting to remotely control two off camera 580EX II flashes with or without a third 580 ex II on my camera body(50D)

I am leaing towards the pocket wizzards (3)

But I walso want to consider the newer flex and mini

I want the best functionality for the dollar and I hear pros and cons of both systems.

The pocket wizard sound more reliable and has a track record but does anyone have comments on the range, reliability, and functionality. Do I need one multimax and two Plus II or all plus II.
    Do I still have some control over the remote flashes with these? Or do I just trigger them. Are the remote flashes set in the manual mode??

Has anyone tried the flex and mini. They sound great but Im reading about problems with the RF interference with the 580EX causing them to not be as reliable with the 580EX II and maybe cutting down on the distance. Do I want 3 transceivers or one transceiver (flex) and two receivers (mini)'

Im not affrad to spend the money but I dont want to spend it twice. I usally buy the best and usually more than I need and I'm rarely sorry.

Re: RF remote trigger for canon flash 580EX II

another option is Flashwave

Edit:
    Sorry I forgot to post a link

here you go. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1025&thread=26540822

Quote Originally Posted by iND

I am wanting to remotely control two off camera 580EX II flashes with or without a third 580 ex II on my camera body(50D)

I am leaing towards the pocket wizzards (3)

But I walso want to consider the newer flex and mini

I want the best functionality for the dollar and I hear pros and cons of both systems.

The pocket wizard sound more reliable and has a track record but does anyone have comments on the range, reliability, and functionality. Do I need one multimax and two Plus II or all plus II.
    Do I still have some control over the remote flashes with these? Or do I just trigger them. Are the remote flashes set in the manual mode??

Has anyone tried the flex and mini. They sound great but Im reading about problems with the RF interference with the 580EX causing them to not be as reliable with the 580EX II and maybe cutting down on the distance. Do I want 3 transceivers or one transceiver (flex) and two receivers (mini)'

Im not affrad to spend the money but I dont want to spend it twice. I usally buy the best and usually more than I need and I'm rarely sorry.

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Do you need TTL functionality? If so, then you'll still need a third 580EX on-camera. If you need more range than IR can give you, you'll either have to buy the new Pocketwizard units (Flex or Mini &amp; Flex), or else RadioPopper PX units. I've done quite a bit of research on the two, and so far people like the Radiopoppers much better. They simply work as advertised. They still need to work some of the kinks out of the new Pocketwizard units. The strong electronic noise emitted by the 580EX interferes with the Mini &amp; Flex units, but doesn't seem to affect the RadioPopper PX ones.

If you don't need TTL functionality, then ask yourself how much range and reliability do you need? Cactus V4 and CTR-301p units are pretty cheap, but aren't 100% reliable. Cybersyncs are 100% reliable to a range of about 300ft (maybe slightly more) and cost substantially less than Pocketwizards. Pocketwizards are 100% reliable and claim a range of 1600ft, but I've never seen anyone actually test that.

The only reason I don't mention Flashwave is because they're not quite as common and I haven't read enough reports on them to make a fair comment.

I have Cybersyncs and I'm very pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by iND

With the classic PW units (Plus, MultiMAX, etc.), you have no TTL control. You don't need MultiMax units; Plus IIs are fine. MultiMax gives you the ability to toggle up to four groups of flashes/cameras on/off from your camera, and the ability to remotely wake a triggered camera, but I suspect they aren't a common product for most photographers.

I haven't used the flex and mini yet, but I know that's what I'm going to get, and soon (&lt;6 months). There are limitations because of RF interference, but there are a variety of easy-moderate fixes that should be more than enough. Note that the mini is a transmitter only, so you want one mini and the rest as flex units, or all flex units. $20 to choose a flex instead of a mini might be a good choice: AA batteries instead of button battery, consistency, and the ability to use your camera as a remote trigger from someone else's camera.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I read the Pocket Wizard site about the flex and mini. I'm wondering if you could get TTL using aST-E2on the hotshoe mount on the unit used as the trigger. I know it doesn't mention it on their site.

Does anyone have both so they could try it?
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Yup it is possible!

you can mount the ST-E2 on top of the mini or flex (on camera) and fire off another flextt5 (wirelessly).

Here is the cool thing, you can use ABC zones and ratio controls wirelessly since the minitt1/flextt5 reads in the info from the ST-e2 and transmits the TTL info wirelessly.

I have the Pocket Wizard Flex and mini setup (with the AC5 sock which eliminates all RF noise with the latest firmware 4.374) and works awesome!

-e

These were just announced today. They will work with your 580's up to 1/8000 second.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=220531255878&amp;s sPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT