Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Better Upgrade? 50D or an L?

Re: Better Upgrade? 50D or an L?

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

and it wasn't the Rebel at fault
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I've always wondered - how can you tell which one's fault it is, the lens or the camera?
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I'm guessing that you've never tried the 85/1.2. It might take a full two seconds or so for that lens to run the length of its focus range, as seven of the eight pieces of glass move for focusing. Although I feel like my different cameras can focus my 70-200/2.8IS at different speeds, there's no such difference on the 85/1.2. On one hand, I'd suggest trying the 85/1.2 sometime (local camera store or a rental), but on the other hand I'd recommend staying far, far away from it unless/until you're ready to buy it. It's a very addictive lens!
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

No, I've never tried it and I don't think I'll get a chance any time soon - but if it's such a slow lens there is no way I'll want to buy it... actually, at $1899 there's no way I'd ever be ready to buy it [:P]

Quote Originally Posted by peety3
    It might take a full two seconds or so for that lens to run the length of its focus range, as seven of the eight pieces of glass move for focusing.

Are you talking about the 85mm f/1.2 II or the original version? I knew the 85 f/1.2 II was slow, but didn't know it was *that* slow. As you can tell, I've never used the lens either. Maybe one day...

I haven't timed it, but it's not something for moving objects...