Thread: Newbie question on lens quality

Newbie question on lens quality

How can I tell if my lens is a lemon or not? I bought a EF-S 17-85mm with my 20D and haven't really been impressed with the photos yet? Is there a place to compare them?

Re: Newbie question on lens quality

Bdog,

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: black; font-size: 7.5pt;"]

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: black; font-size: 11pt;"]Post some photos on the forum and you'll find the good folk here will help you out [:P]. Include exif details, ie:- shutter speed iso, aperturesettings etc and see how we go. Cheers

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: black; font-size: 11pt;"]Scott

Be sure to include at least one photo that was taken tripod-mounted, shooting a well-lit stationary subject at f/8 focused using center-point only. Then include some that are shot wide-open (at both ends of the zoom spectrum, as well as the middle).
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Be a scientist about it. Shoot some images of a well-lit ISO 12233 CHART with the lens in question. Then shoot some with the same camera, same settings, same light, but another lens (with an overlapping focal length, if available).

If the answer doesn't pop out at you, I'm sure we'd all be glad to lend an eye.