Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed on monopods and monopod tilt heads

Advice Needed on monopods and monopod tilt heads

Hi Everyone,

Yep, it's Denise again with advice needed...again! [:$]

I just received my 580EX II yesterday and it is just as awesome as everyone said it would be and I am sooo happy i purchased it! Thanks to all that helped in the decision process!!

Now, it is time for me to "focus" on the next needed accessory! Due to budget restrictions, I am thinking of getting a monopod instead of a tripod. Plus, I do have tripod that came with my kit that I can still use with a light lens. I also think I would be more inclined to use a monopod more than a tripod due to ease of mobility (I assume).

So this post actually is two-fold. Feedback would be appreciated on pros/cons of using a monopod instead of a tripod and ...

I am looking at possibly getting the GM 5541 monopod and the Benro DJ-80 Monopod Tilt Head for when I take pictures of my flowers and of birds. Has anyone had experience with using this tilt head or could you recommend one that I should consider? Will this tilt head work with this monopod? My heaviest equipment I will be using is my 300mm f/4L w/ 1.4x II extender & 580EX II on my Rebel T1i.

Thanks again!

Denise

Re: Advice Needed on monopods and monopod tilt heads

In my opinion, you already have what you need for now, so don't rush to get a monopod. Wait a bit and practice, and when you are comfortable with it drop the $$ on a tripod. I just personally don't like monopods.

well, just my advice []

brendan

I concur. It seems like your targets (flowers and birds) are either long range or require a very steady hand. Neither of those is what monopods are all about. A monopod is not a cheap alternative to a tripod, but a totally different animal entirely. If you said you were shooting fast-moving field action sports, then we're talking monopod, but your desires seem to be pointing you towards a good steady lightweight tripod, with a good tripod head.

I am just suggesting this because I own one, but with the budget you are proposing based solely on the Gitzo 5541, have you looked at the Bogen Manfrotto 055CXPRO3? That is a great tripod for the money. It is carbon fiber, with magnesium hardware, and it seems very strong and stable. It is incredibly light, like 2+ pounds, and can be made to be a very stable vertical macro mount by re-orienting the center column 90 degrees.

As brendan said, too, if you already have a good platform, save your money for something else. New glass, perhaps?

I have a junky (OK, it's not so bad...) "camera store brand" tripod that I bought for $75. I use it occasionally. It's tedious to set up, attach the proprietary plate to the bottom of the camera, and wiggles/jiggles a lot. I have a cheapo monopod with no tilt head - it just screws into my lens or camera.

I use the tripod when shooting still things. It's about useless to use following moving things, so I use the monopod instead. Admittedly, it's not an easy monopod to use, but it works.

Last month, I rented the 17mm tilt/shift. Since my tripod is too big for a suitcase, I rented a LensRentals "light weight" tripod for the week that I was in PA. Drool, drool, drool. Yep, it's light, but WOW was it sturdy and easy to use. It truly changed how I shoot still things, and in small ways it probably changed how I shoot handheld. Upon return to TX, I used my junky tripod for a photo contest, and realized why I didn't use that tripod too often.

All that leads to this: a quality tripod is now very high on my list. I will probably get an exact copy of what I rented, except for the lens plates (I want the Really Right Stuff angle brackets for my cameras - they just make so much sense).

My suggestion? Plan your purchase carefully - proper RRS camera plates for your camera(s), proper plates for any lenses with tripod feet, etc. Buy the tripod first, even though it's more expensive, but only when you can afford the plates and such. You can use the tripod as a monopod, but you can't use the monopod as a tripod.

Oh, and read this: http://www.bythom.com/support.htm
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I'll second (or third or fourth) the above advice - for your subjects, a monopod is not the answer, you need a tripod. I'd definitely recommend a carbon fiber tripod, Gitzo is excellent and expensive, Manfrotto is very good and mid-priced, and I wouldn't go lower than that. The 055 series is a bit taller and has a higher load capacity, but if you're not a tall person the 190 series will be fine and will support your equipment as long as you get a good ballhead (488 or 322 if you like the handgrip).

I use a monopod on a regular basis. More so than my tripod, which is currently gathering dust.....

I use a Manfrotto 679 stick, no head, though I do have the little manfrotto flippy head with QR.

Tilt heads are ok, I personally don't like them all that much, and if you squat or bend, you can get more or less the same range with the 300 connected via the tripod collar (I have this same lens as well)

With proper use, a monopod can be just as steady as a tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehcalum

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Uh, sorry but no. You can't do things like a 30-second exposure, accurate manual focus with thin DoF, panoramas, and/or shift photography on a monopod (at least to the same caliber as on a tripod).
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

Quote Originally Posted by Ehcalum

Uh, sorry but no. You can't do things like a 30-second exposure, accurate manual focus with thin DoF, panoramas, and/or shift photography on a monopod (at least to the same caliber as on a tripod).

I meant for regular shots that she's looking to do. I've shot plenty of panoramas and macros and manual focus on a monopod. Just takes practice and experience.

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]Since I have been struggling with the very same decision let me throw my 2 cents worth in. Like others have said,strongly consider the tripod,I know money is an issue, but what you save now, you will spend again down the road---2-3 fold. At my experience level (2 years),I have recently discovered that a good tripod is as necessary as a good lens forsharp photos. I know there are photographers out there that can pull off a tack sharp image hand held,but I think they are the exception rather than the rule. I have recently decided to spend the same amount of money on a tripod that I would on an L series lens.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] As far as the monopod goes,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I have one and I love it,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] but I would never place a monopod on equal ground as a tripod.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Monopods have their purpose---if your chasing a sporting event,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] need quick or easy to handle support, then the monopod is the right tool,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] but when stability is the paramount issue---think tripod.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Regarding tripods,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I discovered that my $200 aluminum Bogan-Manfrotto failed miserably as it transmitted a high frequency vibration even on a concrete floor indoors.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] A vibration I could actually see at 400mm , live view x10.---how could I expect sharp images with stuff like this going on. <o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]So, My recommendation---by a good carbon fiber tripod,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] if you can&rsquo;t afford it now,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] save for a few months, then get a good tripod.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] While your saving, you can practice your handheld craft, post processing etc..<o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]Hope this helps,<o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]Bob<o></o>
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

I have a junky (OK, it's not so bad...) "camera store brand" tripod that I bought for $75. I use it occasionally. It's tedious to set up, attach the proprietary plate to the bottom of the camera, and wiggles/jiggles a lot. I have a cheapo monopod with no tilt head - it just screws into my lens or camera.

I use the tripod when shooting still things. It's about useless to use following moving things, so I use the monopod instead. Admittedly, it's not an easy monopod to use, but it works.

Last month, I rented the 17mm tilt/shift. Since my tripod is too big for a suitcase, I rented a LensRentals "light weight" tripod for the week that I was in PA. Drool, drool, drool. Yep, it's light, but WOW was it sturdy and easy to use. It truly changed how I shoot still things, and in small ways it probably changed how I shoot handheld. Upon return to TX, I used my junky tripod for a photo contest, and realized why I didn't use that tripod too often.

All that leads to this: a quality tripod is now very high on my list. I will probably get an exact copy of what I rented, except for the lens plates (I want the Really Right Stuff angle brackets for my cameras - they just make so much sense).

My suggestion? Plan your purchase carefully - proper RRS camera plates for your camera(s), proper plates for any lenses with tripod feet, etc. Buy the tripod first, even though it's more expensive, but only when you can afford the plates and such. You can use the tripod as a monopod, but you can't use the monopod as a tripod.

Oh, and read this: [url="http://www.bythom.com/support.htm]http://www.bythom.com/support.htm[/url]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Your suggestions have been very helpful and thank you so much for the link. There was so much truth in it that it was humorous! I shall wait it out until I can afford a quality tripod and realize now I will be so much more ahead!

Thanks again!

Denise