Thread: firmware of 5D mark II

firmware of 5D mark II

just want to ask what's the latest firmware version of the 5D mark II if you buy it at the moment. it started with 1.0.6 i think (correct me if i'm wrong)then i saw a 1.0.7 and updated to 1.0.9 to 1.1.0 to 1.2.4 Is the 1.2.4 the latest or the 1.1.0? i assume if buy a new one at the moment it will have the latest firmware.

Re: firmware of 5D mark II

The best firmware is Magic Lantern -- it has awesome features like automatic focus bracketing and tons of movie-related stuff.

But if you are into the more limited and boring firmware ([]) from Canon themselves, 1.2.4 is the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

The best firmware is [b][url="http://magiclantern.wikia.com]Magic Lantern[/url][/b] -- it has awesome features like automatic focus bracketing and tons of movie-related stuff.

But if you are into the more limited and boring firmware ([img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]) from Canon themselves, 1.2.4 is the latest.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Daniel,

What version of Canon firmware did you have before you installed Magic Lantern? I have 1.2.4 and sawthis:

"Magic Lantern does not yet support Canon's 1.2.4 firmware"

Should I try to grab an older version of the Canon firmware if I want to try Magic Lantern? Are there other functions besides focus bracketing for still capture? From a quick glance at the website it looks like their main focus is video...which at least for now I am not utilizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson
    Should I try to grab an older version of the Canon firmware if I want to try Magic Lantern?

Yes. I don't think Canon lets you download older versions, so you can get 1.1.0 from my website:

5D2 1.1.0 Firmware

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson
    Are there other functions besides focus bracketing for still capture?

Nothing real big (yet):
    • Custom crop marks (such as 8x10 or 5x7) to help with framing.
    • HDR exposure bracketing (if your needs aren't served by standard bracketing)
    • Lens data (hyperfocal distance, DOF, etc)
    • Live zebras ("blinkies") instead of seeing them only after the fact.