Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Added a 7D to my arsenal

Added a 7D to my arsenal

Well, after a couple of months and a lot of reading and "him-hawing". I finally decided to upgrade from a 50D to the 7D. Though I would love to have the 1D4, I just couldn't justify the cost. For those who have made this same upgrade, what are your thoughts. Are you happy you made the switch? Though I don't expect the IQ of the 5D2, I am hoping for some improvement from the 50D. Asside from the pro reviews that hint at the 7D being a little soft, what do the 7D owners think?

Since I found out my (new) camera is on backorder, I thought I would get as much info from you guys on what I should initially expect from this upgrade. I pirmarily shoot wildlife and natureand am starting to dabble in sports photography. My lens collection consists of a 100-400L, 24-105L and an EFS 10-22

Your comments are appreciated.

Bob

Re: Added a 7D to my arsenal

Congratulations Bob on your new purchase. The 7D was my first DSLR but I have tried the 50d. The biggest differences for me (besides movie mode, I dont use it much) are the viewfinder and ISO performance. The 7D viewfinder is awesome, I love it. ISO performance is probably the biggest difference for me. Comparing the 50d and 7d at ISO 3200 is like comparing opposite ends of a greyscale; for me at least there's no competition.

Good Luck with your new Camera!

brendan

I will be picking up my 7D in an 1/2 an hour hopefully (upgrading from a T1i)!! []
    A major electronic store matched Amazon's price for me and was going to UPS it to me on Monday from Illinois, well it's Wed. night and they STILL didn't put it on a truck so after enough complaining on my part ...the manager hopped in his car an hour ago and went to get it for me!!

I will let you know what I think as soon as I get a chance to try it out (with my new 17-55mm) that came today!!!!

Denise

That sounds great, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    the manager hopped in his car an hour ago and went to get it for me!!

Wow! That's what I call service.

Congrats on the new camera! I hope you get it soon

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams

I finally decided to upgrade from a 50D to the 7D. Though I would love to have the 1D4, I just couldn't justify the cost. For those who have made this same upgrade, what are your thoughts. Are you happy you made the switch? Though I don't expect the IQ of the 5D2, I am hoping for some improvement from the 50D. Asside from the pro reviews that hint at the 7D being a little soft, what do the 7D owners think?

I don't know about the 50D. Your Wow!! will probably be less than mine. I upgraded from a 300D after... I don't know how long. I bought it the first day it was released. It really is nice to reach for features and find them fully implemented, rather than shortchanged to save a dollar or two on the retail price. I am continually pleased with the 7D. The functions and ergonomics are exactly as I like them.

As for resolution, you probably already know to watch out at smaller apertures, since the 50D was the first to be diffraction limited at lower than f/8. The reports of softness all compared f/16 shots, and then wailed and wept famously. DLA for the 7D is f/6.9. When you first unbox it, shoot a few through the 24-105 at f/7.1. I promise you you'll love it at 1:1 on your screen.

Aside from having to watch those small apertures -- "losing" f/11 really hurts -- the 7D doesn't give up much to the 5D2. Those 18 MP are the center 40% crop from a hypothetical 46 MP sensor. When you start to wonder about small pixels and ISO noise, remind yourself the 5D2 only wishes it had a popup flash to wirelessly trigger off-camera flash. You might consider picking up a 430EXII or two if you don't already have one. With unbroken coverage extending from 16mm to 560mm 35mm equivalent, very few 5D owners have anything on you. I'm a bit envious myself.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWhy
    When you first unbox it, shoot a few through the 24-105 at f/7.1. I promise you you'll love it at 1:1 on your screen.

Thanks Mike, You can bet I will

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen

Congrats on the new camera! I hope you get it soon
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thanks Nate. By the way, Your bird photography inspires me; when I need to compare, I look at your shots. Unfortunately, there is usually nothing to compare, But I am getting closer.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    I will be picking up my 7D in an 1/2 an hour

Congrats Denise, I am envious. Please let us all know what your initial impression is.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223
    The 7D viewfinder is awesome,

This is one of the things I am really looking forward too, as well as the speed and ISO performance.

Thanks Brenden
    Bob