Thread: Older date code 70-200 2.8 L IS. Any known issues?

Older date code 70-200 2.8 L IS. Any known issues?

I am looking at buying a used 70-200 2.8L IS in very nice condition. The date code indicates that it is an older lens. Are there any known issues with the older date code versions of this lens? I know the older date code 24-105L had some flare issues that required it to be sent in for repair but I couldn't find anything on the 70-200. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Older date code 70-200 2.8 L IS. Any known issues?

I haven't heard about any issues with the earliest 70-200 f/2.8 L IS lenses. There might have been some, but I'm unaware if there were. If the lens is in good condition, and it's a reasonable price, I'd say jump on it. Of course, if you can test the lens before purchase, then that might relieve some of the tension of emptying that much change from your wallet...

The 70-200mm F/2.8 lenses seem to have a bit of variation in sharpness. I'd really want to check it carefully. As to price, I've bought4 used ones in the $800-$1000 price range. They were very good, but not great so i just kept my 70-200F4L IS, which none of the four lenses could match.

A new one (in the USA) can be had for about $1450 by purchasing it from Adorama on ebay and getting the Bing 8% cashback plus 2% on my Amex card. There is no way I'd pay $1300-$1500 for a used one, which is whatmany sellers are asking.

Thanks for the replies, I actually had already bought it not long after making that post. The lens was made in 2002 so I was a bit apprehensive but after checking it out in person I am quite pleased. The glass and body are in mint condition (the rubber seal on the mount even looks new) and most important, its focus accuracy is perfect on my 40d (I have had issues with a newer copy that belonged to my school backfocusing slightly). I got it for $1100 so I guess I overpaid a little but it was a local cash transaction so it was worth the convenience to me. I had been seriously contemplating the version II but $2500 is just too much for me to justify when I could use the savings to buy a 5D mk1 (which is most likely what I will be doing).

Heres a shot of my dog I just took with it.

unedited jpg straight off the camera (except for resizing) 40D, 155mm, f2.8, 1/15, ISO 3200

It seems that the forum has cropped off a portion of the right of the frame but you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Elkin

It seems that the forum has cropped off a portion of the right of the frame but you get the idea.

Forum width is 800 pixels [] Glad to see you enjoy your lens! Good luck with it!

Jan